Dodgers Devour I-Cubs
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (54-42) gave up a season-high 13 runs as the Oklahoma City Dodgers (42-53) netted a 13-4 victory, Tuesday at Principal Park.
Oklahoma City came out swinging and exploded for a 7-0 lead after one and a half. Will Smith hit a two-run homer in the first, and helped his team again with a one-out grand slam in the second. Four pitches later, Edwin Rios went deep to put the Dodgers up by seven.
A Dixon Machado two-RBI double put Iowa on the board in the second, but the I-Cubs never caught up. Oklahoma City would post another run in each of the third and fourth frames, while Iowa put up a run on a towering Donnie Dewees solo shot in the third.
The I-Cubs were able to quiet the Oklahoma City offense until the eighth when Shane Peterson hit an RBI triple. Two more scored later in the frame, helped by a Gavin Lux solo home run, as the Dodgers put an exclamation point on the night.
Zack Short teased a comeback with a home run in the ninth, but the Dodgers shut down the effort.
Despite allowing a season-high 13 runs, Iowa pitching struck out 16 batters - its most since fanning 20 on July 27, 2017 vs. El Paso. Trevor Clifton, Carl Edwards Jr., Dakota Mekkes, and Duane Underwood Jr. each struck out the side in an inning.
- Mark Zagunis went 2-for-4 as the I-Cubs lineup was held to six total hits.
- Iowa tied a season high with seven pitchers used in the game.
- Carl Edwards Jr. allowed two hits, walked one and struck out three in a scoreless rehab outing.
Iowa and Oklahoma City meet for a 7:08 p.m. first pitch for MARVEL Super Hero night tomorrow at Principal Park. For more information and tickets visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Chasers Batter 'Cakes 9-8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Split Doubleheader - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Stu Scally Promoted to Express Assistant General Manager of Sales - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-55) at San Antonio Missions (60-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-58) at Round Rock Express (56-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony Friday, July 19 at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Team up with Just Keep Livin Foundation to Host "Alright Alright Alright Night" on Saturday, August 3 - Round Rock Express
- Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City to Take Field this Weekend During Celebracion Cielo Azul - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Split Two Games in Reno Tuesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces, Lively Dominant against El Paso - Reno Aces
- River Cats bounce back in game two to split doubleheader - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies as Winning Ways Continue - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies Iso-"topped" 7-2 on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Lose Tight Game in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Devour I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Smith Drives in Seven Runs for Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.