Mike Monfredo Named Solar Bears Captain
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced that veteran defenseman Mike Monfredo has been named team captain for the 2018-19 season. The blueliner becomes the sixth player in team history to be named to the captaincy on a full-time basis. Veteran forward Curt Gogol and forward Brady Shaw will serve as alternate captains, while forward Troy Bourke will serve as a third alternate as needed.
"Mike is a core piece of this team - he's someone who primarily leads by example, but when he speaks in the locker room, he commands everybody's full attention," Solar Bears head coach and general manager Drake Berehowsky said. "He's an excellent ambassador for our team, and someone we're proud to select as our captain."
Monfredo, 28, has recorded eight points (2g-6a) and 40 penalty minutes in 20 games this season, his second with Orlando.
"It's an honor to be named captain," Monfredo said. "We've got a great group of players in our locker room this season, and we've got what it takes to contend for a championship."
The seventh-year pro has amassed 175 points (40g-135a) and 697 penalty minutes in 427 games with the Solar Bears, Rapid City Rush and Quad City Mallards.
Orlando Solar Bears captains by season:
2012-13: Ryan Cruthers
2013-14: Eric Baier
2014-15: Stefan Della Rovere
2015-16: Eric Baier and Carl Nielsen
2016-17: Eric Baier
2017-18: Sean Zimmerman
2018-19: Mike Monfredo
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears visit the Atlanta Gladiators on Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:35 p.m. at Infinite Energy Arena. Orlando then hosts the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the first time this season on Sunday, Dec. 9 at 1:30 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center for a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday. The first 100 FAIRWINDS members who show their FAIRWINDS debit or credit card and photo ID at the box office will receive a free pair of tickets to that day's game. Once the first 100 pairs are claimed, FAIRWINDS members can still take advantage of a buy-one-get-one offer for the game. For more information, visit fairwinds.org/solarbears. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
Images from this story
Orlando Solar Bears defenseman Mike Monfredo
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2018
- 'Blades Annual Teddy Bear Toss Set for Saturday - Florida Everblades
- Wallin, Kile Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Lorentz, Nastasiuk Called up by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Lightning Prospect Otto Somppi Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Kevin Lankinen Reassigned to Indy, McArdle Recalled - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Sign Goaltender Jordan Ruby - Wheeling Nailers
- Team President Brent Thiessen Signed to Three-Year Extension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Travis Howe Called up by AHL Tucson - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic to be Televised Nationally Live on NHL Network - ECHL
- Mavericks Announce Partnership with Restoration House - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mike Monfredo Named Solar Bears Captain - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Announce New Family 4-Pack Ticketing Option - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Set Records in Teddy Bear Toss for Tots Results - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Unveil 'Atlanta Hockey Heritage' Third Jersey - Atlanta Gladiators
- Growlers Announce Partnership with Nevaeh's Lemonade Stand - Newfoundland Growlers
- FANG Going 'Over the Edge' for North Florida Boy Scouts - Jacksonville IceMen
- Former Americans Lead Rush to 6-3 Win - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Leap into First in South with Come-From-Behind Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears to Face Everblades in South Division Finals
- Solar Bears Advance to South Division Finals with 5-2 Win over Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays