Mavericks' Mike Berry Named Player of the Week
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks in conjunction with the Central Hockey League (CHL) announced Monday Mavericks' forward Mike Berry has been named the Oakley CHL Player of the Week for the period ending February 13, 2011.
In recognition of his achievement, Berry will receive a special gift from Oakley.
Berry helped the Mavericks to seven of a possible eight points in a week that saw them go 3-0-1. The Kanata, Ontario native scored goals in all four Missouri games and accounted for the game winning goal in all three Missouri wins. On Tuesday, Berry's second period shorthanded goal was the lone score in the 1-0 win for Missouri. In Friday's 2-1 overtime win over Colorado, Berry struck just over two minutes into the extra session giving the Mavs the win and in Sunday's 7-4 win over the Eagles, Berry scored the game winner early in the third period breaking a four-all tie.
On the season, the 5-11, 180-pound forward is tied for second in the CHL with six game-winning goals and he ranks second on the Mavs with 18 goals on the season and 34 points. His eight power play goals lead the team. He has also scored a goal in a franchise-record five consecutive games.
Oakley CHL Player of the Week Mike Berry, Missouri Mavericks Position: F (Weekly Totals) Games Played: 4 Goals: 4 Assists: 1 Points: 5 GWG's: 3 Plus/Minus: +2
Oakley CHL Player of the Week -- Previous Winners Oct. 18- Brett Smith, Bossier-Shreveport Oct. 25- Scott May, Colorado Nov. 1- Steve Kaunisto, Wichita Nov. 8- Neil Trimm, Laredo Nov. 15- Derek LeBlanc, Rapid City Nov. 29- Frankie DeAngelis, Fort Wayne Dec. 6- Matt Summers, Mississippi Dec. 13- Bill Bagron, Bloomington Dec. 20- Tomas Klempa, Rio Grande Valley Dec. 27- Kevin Ulanski, Colorado Jan. 3- Bruce Graham, Allen Jan. 10- Luke Erickson, Arizona Jan. 17- Jack Combs, Tulsa Jan. 24- Jesse Bennefield, Wichita Jan. 31- Riley Nelson, Colorado Feb. 7- Jeff Bes, Laredo Feb. 14- Mike Berry, Missouri
The Mavericks close out a three-game road trip Tuesday night when they face the Tulsa Oilers at BOK Center. The Mavs return home next weekend for a Friday matchup with the Rapid City Rush and a Saturday game against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. Tickets are available for all Mavericks' home games at the Independence Events Center Box Office, by calling (800) 745-3000 or visiting www.TicketMaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2011
- Rush Players Shave Heads in Support of Breast Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- Valley View Elementary Students Rewarded for Charity Efforts with Player Visit - Rapid City Rush
- Shots from the Point for February 14, 2011 - CHL
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Host Three Games this Week - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Waive Delforte - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks' Mike Berry Named Player of the Week - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Oakley CHL Player of the Week Announced - CHL
- "Rock the Puck for Stars" March 8th - Laredo Bucks
- Komets Complete Week 18 with Two Shutouts - Fort Wayne Komets
- Mavericks Weekly - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gems Player Kyle Bochek Has His Date with a Fan Tuesday Evening - Dayton Gems
- Jackalopes Weekly Update - Odessa Jackalopes
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Oilers Home Stand Continues - Tulsa Oilers
- Dayton Gems Weekly Review - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Close out Home Stand Tuesday - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Killer Bees Weekly - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings Weekly - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Wins One, Drops Two - Wichita Thunder
- Strong Third Period Leads Mavs to Weekend Win - Colorado Eagles
- Mavericks Score Three in Third to Beat Eagles, 7-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce Nine-Game Television Partnership with KMBC-KCWE
- Mavericks Re-Sign Defenseman Brett Beauvais
- Mavericks Send VanWormer and Sherbinin's Rights to Norfolk for Nogard's Rights and Futures
- Mavericks Add Rookie Defenseman Cole Fraser and Rookie Forward Bryan Lemos
- Mavericks Sign Forward Kozun and Blueliner McKernan