Strong Third Period Leads Mavs to Weekend Win
LOVELAND, Colo. - The Missouri Mavericks scored three goals in the third period to defeat the Colorado Eagles, 7-4, capping off a three-games-in-as-many nights series between the teams that had a fitting playoff feel. After each team had won one of the previous two games in overtime, Simon Watson helped lead the Mavs to the "rubber-match" win with a pair of goals.
A back-and-forth first period saw the Mavs start the scoring at 4:33. Mike Wakita took a shot from the top of the right circle that Kyle Jones kicked to his right, but it went directly to a wide open Watson for an easy opening score.
The Eagles tied the game midway through the opening frame when Kevin Ulanski sent a pass from the goal line in the left corner to Dan Sullivan, who had snuck behind the Missouri defense into the low slot. Sullivan made a quick move to his backhand before roofing the puck past Gerry Festa.
Missouri went back up, 2-1, at 14:46 when Blake Forsyth sent a long lead pass to Todd Griffith, sending the newly-acquired forward down the left wing. Griffith made a deft move around an Eagles defender before cutting across the doorstep and sliding the puck past Jones inside the far post.
But Colorado countered just over half a minute later to knot the score back up at 2. The team's top line was again responsible for the tally as Sullivan and Riley Nelson worked a tic-tac-toe play on an odd-man rush to set up Ulanski for an easy goal from the doorstep.
The see-saw action continued in the second stanza. Colorado went on top 3-2 at 3:18 after Steve Haddon made a great, determined play -- playing the puck from his knees in the left circle -- to set up Adam Chorneyko for a one-timer past Festa.
But at 4:20, Ray DiLauro sent a pass from the left point to a wide open Watson between the hash marks for his second goal of the game. In an odd move, Robby Nolan replaced Festa in Missouri's net after their own goal. The Eagles went back up at 6:58 when Nelson placed a laser of a shot into the top left corner of the goal directly off a faceoff win in the right circle.
Moments later, it appeared that Colorado had made it 5-3, but Scott May had a goal waived off. And at 18:05, the Mavs would tie the game back up at 4 after Ryan Jardine forced a play down deep with the rebound coming out to DiLauro in the slot for a shot past Jones.
Missouri got the game-winner at 5:39 of the final frame when Nick Sirota curled up along the right wing and fed Mike Berry crashing the net. And just 17 seconds later, Nathan O'Nabigon made it 6-4 with a great individual effort, stealing the puck at his offensive blue line before beating Jones with a shot from the high slot. The Mavs put the game out of reach with a power-play goal at 16:29 when Sirota scored from the left mid-boards.
The Eagles' next game will come Tuesday night in Rapid City, after which they'll finish out February with four games at home.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2011
- Rush Players Shave Heads in Support of Breast Cancer - Rapid City Rush
- Valley View Elementary Students Rewarded for Charity Efforts with Player Visit - Rapid City Rush
- Shots from the Point for February 14, 2011 - CHL
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Host Three Games this Week - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Waive Delforte - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks' Mike Berry Named Player of the Week - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Oakley CHL Player of the Week Announced - CHL
- "Rock the Puck for Stars" March 8th - Laredo Bucks
- Komets Complete Week 18 with Two Shutouts - Fort Wayne Komets
- Mavericks Weekly - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gems Player Kyle Bochek Has His Date with a Fan Tuesday Evening - Dayton Gems
- Jackalopes Weekly Update - Odessa Jackalopes
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Oilers Home Stand Continues - Tulsa Oilers
- Dayton Gems Weekly Review - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Close out Home Stand Tuesday - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Killer Bees Weekly - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings Weekly - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Wins One, Drops Two - Wichita Thunder
- Strong Third Period Leads Mavs to Weekend Win - Colorado Eagles
- Mavericks Score Three in Third to Beat Eagles, 7-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction