Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner and defender Henry Kessler have been called in for the United States Men's National Team's annual January Camp, with Turner joining the senior team and Kessler joining the Under-23 side. The senior team, comprised of 12 MLS players, will train alongside the U-23 USMNT at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. from Jan. 9 through Jan. 24, at which point several U-23 players will be elevated to the full USMNT roster in advance of a planned match at the end of the month.
Turner, 26, earns his third career call-up to the U.S. Men's National Team, following his participation in Concacaf Nations League group stage play in November 2019, as well as last year's January Camp. He will be seeking his first international appearance when the USMNT returns to play with a planned match at the conclusion of January Camp. The United States is preparing for a 2021 slate that includes the Concacaf Nations League Final Four, the Gold Cup, and the start of 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.
A native of Park Ridge, N.J., Turner is set to join the USMNT on the heels of a prolific season in goal for New England, which saw him finish second in Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting and take home Revolution Team MVP and Players' Player of the Year honors. He finished the 2020 campaign ranked inside the top five among all MLS goalkeepers in saves and saves percentage, and set a club record with a 1.09 goals against average on the year. Despite the shortened season, Turner also submitted a single-season career-high six shutouts. Poised to enter his sixth MLS season, all with New England, he owns a 24-21-23 record with 238 saves since signing with the Revolution as an undrafted college player ahead of the 2016 MLS season.
Kessler, 22, is poised to join the U.S. Under-23 Men's National Team following his debut professional season. A native of New York, N.Y., this marks his first call up to the United States at any age level. Head Coach Jason Kreis' U-23 MNT is convening for the first time since March 2020 in preparation for the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship.
Kessler appeared in all but one game across all competitions at center back for the Revolution in 2020, including four starts in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. He paced New England in interceptions (34), tackles won (21), possessions won (123), and clearances (83), and became the first rookie to win Revolution Defender of the Year since 2011. Selected by New England with the sixth-overall pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft following an outstanding collegiate career at the University of Virginia, Kessler led all selections in games played (22), starts (19), and minutes played (1,823). Among all rookies, he finished second in minutes played and games started, and tied for second in games played.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution and Gillette Stadium Ready to Welcome Fans for 2021 Major League Soccer Season
- Revolution Alumni Announced as Finalists for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2021
- New England Revolution Launches Remote Training Team
- New England Revolution Make Two Selections in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- New England Revolution and Defender Alexander Buttner Part Ways