Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids midfielder Kellyn Acosta, forward Jonathan Lewis and defender Sam Vines wereâ¯named toâ¯theâ¯US men's national teamâ¯January camp in Bradenton, Florida, US soccer announced today.â¯Acosta will be with the senior MNT, composed of players 24 and older, while Lewis and Vines will be with the U-23 MNT.
On January 24, several players from the U-23 side will be elevated to the senior national team for the planned match at the end of the month.
The U-23 MNT, coached by Jason Kreis, will prepare for the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship in March, while Acosta and theâ¯senior USMNT prepare for a busy calendar year that will feature Concacaf Nations League, Gold Cup and FIFAâ¯World Cup qualifying.â¯â¯
Acostaâ¯has earnedâ¯24 caps for the USMNT and scored two goals since making his debut in January 2016 as a 20-year-old.â¯Acosta appeared in five of six matchesâ¯as the US won the 2017 Gold Cup. In December, the Texas native made his firstâ¯international appearance in two years as a substitute in a 6-0 win over El Salvador in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida â¯Acosta scored two goals and an assist in 16 regular and postseasonâ¯appearances in 2020, his third season with Colorado.â¯â¯
Lewis earned his first senior national team call in January 2019 and has picked up six caps.â¯Lewis assisted on goals in his debut against Panama on January 27, 2019, and Costa Rica on February 2, becoming the first MNT player since 2014 to assist in two consecutive matches as a substitute. The Florida native made one appearance to help the US reach the 2019 Gold Cup final. Lewis scored one goal and added an assist in three appearances, all of them as a starter, for the US U-23s in 2019. Theâ¯23-year-oldâ¯was Colorado's co-leading scorer with five goals in 18 regular season appearancesâ¯in 2020.â¯
Vinesâ¯made his senior international debut in a 1-0 win over Costa Rica on February 1, becoming the first Rapids Homegrown and Academy product to start a match for the USMNT. Vines played the first half of a 6-0 win over El Salvador on December 9, making a key pass to set up the eventual game-winner. Vines previously made two appearances with the US U-23s. The 21-year-old Colorado Springs native was the only Rapids player to play every minute during the regular season, totaling one goal and three assists.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021
- Rapids Look to Reap the Benefits of Team Chemistry in 2021
- DICK's Sporting Goods Park to Host 7,897 Fans for Rapids Games Starting April 24
- Rapids Top Phoenix in Preseason Finale
- Colorado Rapids Close out Preseason with Scrimmage against Phoenix Rising FC