Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that defender/midfielder Mauricio Pineda has been called up to the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team. Pineda will join the U.S. U-23 MNT for a training camp in Bradenton, Fla. from Jan. 9-24 that will run in conjunction with the senior U.S. Men's National Team's January Camp.
The U.S. U-23 MNT is preparing for the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship, which will determine the representatives from the Concacaf region that will participate at the Olympic Games in Tokyo. It is the first time the team has gathered since the tournament was suspended in March 2020, and will be the final gathering of the team before the qualifying tournament resumes in March 2021. The U.S. is aiming to qualify for its first Men's Olympic Football Tournament since 2008. The top two teams at the Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship will advance to the 2021 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter will conduct a 12-player training camp alongside the U-23 camp consisting of players aged 24 and older. At the end of the camp, several U-23 players will be elevated to the full USMNT roster in advance of a planned match at the end of the month.
Pineda will join the U.S. U-23 MNT after being called up for the first time to the senior USMNT in December. Pineda was on the gameday roster for the 6-0 win against El Salvador on Dec. 9. He has also represented the U.S. at the U-18 and U-20 levels.
Pineda recently signed a multi-year contract extension on Dec. 31 and was named Chicago's Defensive Player of the Year after a stellar rookie season.
U-23 USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club):
GOALKEEPERS (3): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Brady Scott (Austin FC)
DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), George Bello (Atlanta United FC), Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven/NED), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg/GER), Andrés Perea* (Orlando City SC), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)
FORWARDS (7): Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), JesÃºs Ferreira (FC Dallas), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC), Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact/CAN)
*Player is currently ineligible to represent the United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Miguel Navarro Receives U.S. Green Card
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Three Additional 2021 Preseason Opponents
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: March 1-7
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils 2021 "Lakefront" Primary and Secondary Jerseys