Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced the club has signed midfielder Wil Trapp as a free agent.
"We are obviously delighted to get a player of his age, quality, experience and a current US international," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "Wil made it very clear from the outset that this was the only club he wanted to go to. Having spoken with him at length, I know he's incredibly excited about our plans moving forward and which he's excited to be a part of. Speaking to his former coaches and managers, the most frequently used words were quality, professional, leadership and honesty. These qualities completely dovetail into the type of person we are looking to bring into our club as we try to improve on what was a successful last season."
The eight-year MLS veteran joins Minnesota after one season with 2020 expansion side Inter Miami. Prior to Miami, Trapp had spent his entire professional career with Columbus Crew SC, where he played seven seasons, was named an MLS All-Star in 2016 and reached the 2015 MLS Cup Final with current Loon Ethan Finlay. Trapp has 206 MLS game appearances across 17,302 minutes and 19 assists.
"I am delighted to be joining a team and club with high ambitions," said midfielder Wil Trapp. "There is a great energy about this team and the Twin Cities' support. I am very excited to get to work and help this club achieve its goals."
Internationally, Trapp has been an active member of the U.S. Men's National Team since his senior team debut in 2015. The deep-lying midfielder has 18 appearances since January 2018, including the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup. At the youth level, Trapp represented the U.S. U18, U20 and U23 teams. Notably, he appeared in both the 2013 Concacaf U20 Championship and the 2013 U20 FIFA World Cup. The team finished as runners-up in the 2013 Concacaf U20 Championship as Trapp played all 120 minutes of the final.
Transaction: Minnesota United sign midfielder Wil Trapp as a free agent.
Date of birth: 01.15.1993 (27 years old)
Weight: 150 lbs
Birthplace: Columbus, Ohio
Citizenship: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Presents 2021 River Kit
- MNUFC Signs Defender DJ Taylor
- MNUFC Sign New Contracts for Jacori Hayes, Brent Kallman, Callum Montgomery and Adrian Zendejas
- Minnesota United Acquires Defender Jukka Raitala Via Trade from Club de Foot Montreal
- Minnesota United Select Justin McMaster, Nabilai Kibunguchy and Sean O'Hearn in 2021 MLS SuperDraft