Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp
HERIMMAN, UTAH - Real Salt Lake's Aaron Herrera and David Ochoa have been named to the United States U-23 National Team roster by Head Coach Jason Kreis for the upcoming January camp in Bradenton, Florida.
"With Olympic qualifying approaching quickly, this training camp is a great opportunity to prepare ourselves and evaluate some new faces," Kreis said. "While 2020 was a very challenging year, it was impressive to see so many U-23-eligible players make major strides on the field. Some of them have been involved with the senior team over the last few months and it's exciting to now get our players and staff back together in camp alongside Gregg (Berhalter) and his group as we prepare for a very important qualifying tournament."
The call-up is the first in almost a year for Herrera who has become a staple at both the U-20 and U-23 national team levels. Prior to its cancelation, Herrera, was named to the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying roster and was on track to join the U.S. U-23 National Team in Tokyo for the summer Olympics.
At the U-20 level Herrera helped the United States lift its first-ever U-20 CONCACAF Championship and was on the squad that advanced to the quarterfinal round of the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in South Korea.
Herrera, 23, has been with Real Salt Lake as a Homegrown Player since 2018, appearing in 68 matches in his first three seasons as a professional. The 2020 Real Salt Lake Defender of the Year led the club with 1,706 minutes played and finished the season leading the team with 49 tackles and 43 dribbles completed and finishing second with 36 interceptions and nine blocks.
Ochoa, 19, received his first-ever call to the senior national team just two months ago as part of a 22-man training camp set to face El Salvador on December 9 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The young goalkeeper picked up an injury in the opening days of camp and saw the remainder of his time cut short prior to any match play. This is his first time with the U-23 side.
The Real Salt Lake Academy product signed with the first team prior to the 2019 season. He made his professional debut in 2018 with the Real Monarchs as an Academy call-up on April 22, 2018 before becoming a staple in goal for the Monarchs in 2019, where he helped the club to the 2019 USL Championship title. Ochoa made his Major League Soccer debut on November 8 in a 2-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City at Rio Tinto Stadium.
USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (2): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)
DEFENDERS (3): Tristan Blackmon (LAFC; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 18/3), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 13/2)
MIDFIELDERS (3): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 24/2), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 17/4), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 115/42), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 34/6), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 1/2)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces Historic Partnership with University of Utah Health
- Real Salt Lake Signs U.S. Forward Bobby Wood
- RSL-AZ Announces World-Class Training Complex
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Regular Season Schedule
- Real Salt Lake Announces Preseason Match against Sacramento Republic FC for Season Ticket Holders