Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Earthquakes forward Cade Cowell , goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski, and midfielder Jackson Yueill are among 26 players called to participate in the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team camp in Sarasota, Florida from January 9-24. Several U-23 players will be elevated to the full USMNT roster in advance of a planned match at the end of the month.
The Earthquakes are one of just three teams in Major League Soccer to send three or more players to the U-23 camp, joining FC Dallas and Orlando City SC. The camp will serve as the team's final gathering ahead of Olympic qualifying in March.
Cowell, 17, is the youngest player called to the U-23s, 15 months younger than the next youngest player, and is age-eligible for both the 2020 Olympics (being played in 2021) and 2024 Olympics. He signed a Homegrown Player contract with San Jose prior to the 2019 season, becoming the youngest signing in club history at the time (15 years and 102 days). Cowell had a breakout year for San Jose in 2020, making his MLS debut on March 7 and becoming the youngest player to appear in a match in club history and fifth youngest in league history. He later scored in his first career start vs. the LA Galaxy on Aug. 29 and finished with 17 total appearances. The Ceres, Calif. native has made three prior appearances for the United States at the U-16 and U-17 levels.
Marcinkowski, 23, has competed extensively at the youth national team level and has also received three prior senior national team call-ups (May 2019, January 2020, December 2020). He has appeared in all eight training camps for the U-23s this cycle, including the team's joint camp with the USMNT in 2019. Marcinkowski also competed at the 2017 Concacaf U-20 Championship and the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup. During the 2020 MLS season, Marcinkowski made 11 starts, recorded four shutouts and earned a 6-3-2 record.
Yueill, 23, has made eight prior appearances for the senior national team as well as two appearances for the U-23s. Yueill started in three of the four matches that led to the USA finishing first in Concacaf Nations League Group A in 2019. Yueill was also part of the U-23 team that traveled to Mexico for the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship last March before the tournament was postponed due to a COVID-19 outbreak. Named the Quakes' Young Player of the Year in both 2019 and 2020, Yueill has missed just four total regular season matches over the last two seasons and played a team-high 1,861 minutes in 2020.
U-23 USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club):
GOALKEEPERS (3): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes) , David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Brady Scott (Austin FC)
DEFENDERS (10) : Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), George Bello (Atlanta United FC), Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven/NED), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg/GER), Andrés Perea* (Orlando City SC), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)
FORWARDS (7): Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes) , Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), JesÃºs Ferreira (FC Dallas), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC), Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact/CAN)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Argentine Defender Luciano Abecasis
- Earthquakes Sign 21-Year-Old Forward Benji Kikanovic
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Midfielder Eric Remedi in Trade with Atlanta United FC
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for October 9