Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Soccer Club in conjunction with the U.S. Soccer Federation announced today that 2020 Major League Soccer Defender of the Year and Best XI center back Walker Zimmerman will join the U.S. Men's National Team for its upcoming camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.
Zimmerman will join the U.S. Men's National Team on Friday, Jan. 9 as they prepare for a 2021 campaign that includes the Concacaf Nations League Final Four, the Gold Cup and the start of 2022 FIFA World Cup™ Qualifying,
The 27-year-old center back has earned 13 caps and recorded two goals with the USMNT. Zimmerman's last appearance came as a substitute in the 83rd minute in a 6-0 win over El Salvador in an international friendly on Dec. 9, 2020.
Zimmerman has played the full 90 minutes in six of the last seven matches with the USMNT, posting six shutouts, three of them during the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Zimmerman is coming off a groundbreaking campaign in Nashville's inaugural MLS season in 2020, as he helped guide the Boys in Gold to a historic year. Behind the leadership of Zimmerman, Nashville became the second expansion club in MLS history to reach the Conference Semifinals in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
The veteran also guided Nashville to two Audi MLS Cup Playoff victories, becoming the first expansion team since the 1998 Chicago Fire to win a playoff match in their expansion year.
In the club's inaugural season, Zimmerman and Nashville posted a goal-against average of 0.96 goals per game, the best of any expansion club in league history, and tied for the league-lead with nine clean sheets this season. The club allowed 22 goals this season, third fewest in the league, and only two goals more than the league leaders.
The MLS Best XI selection was a force on both sides of the ball. Offensively, Zimmerman scored three goals and registered one assist in 22 starts. He scored the first goal in Nashville history on Feb. 29 in the club's inaugural match. The 27-year-old U.S. Men's National Team regular led MLS with 69 headed clearances, while his 64 aerials won were tied for sixth-most.
Be sure to follow Nashville SC by visiting www.NashvilleSC.com and the club's social channels on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (2): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)
DEFENDERS (3): Tristan Blackmon (LAFC; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 18/3), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 13/2)
MIDFIELDERS (3): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 24/2), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 17/4), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 115/42), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 34/6), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 1/2)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Come to Our Pre-Match Party Saturday at Hard Rock Café Downtown: Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Daktronics in First Nashville SC Stadium Event
- Nissan Stadium Transitions to Cashless Payment for All Future Events
- Handwalla Bwana Ready to Add a Spark in First Full Season with Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club's Jalil Anibaba Serving as Reading Role Model Through Books Brothers