Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez
Austin, Texas - Austin FC, the 27th club in Major League Soccer (MLS), announced today the signing of 25-year-old free agent midfielder Diego Fagundez. Per League and Club policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Fagundez becomes Austin FC's 16th acquisition ahead of the Club's inaugural season in 2021.
"Diego is a player in the prime of his career who has scored over 50 goals, played over 250 matches and comes with significant MLS experience. We are fortunate to bring a 25-year-old with vast and proven experience to the Club," commented Austin FC Sporting Director, Claudio Reyna. "Diego has played in a number of positions throughout his career and his dynamic positional flexibility is a strength that Austin FC will have the opportunity to benefit from."
"I'm excited to start this new chapter in my career, alongside a Club creating a new chapter for an amazing city like Austin," said Fagundez. "I am ready and motivated to represent Austin FC next season, and I look forward to giving my best for the Club."
Fagundez (pronounced "fuh-GOON-des"), who grew up in Leominster, MA, joins Austin FC after spending the entirety of his career with the New England Revolution (2011-20), where he played 265 league games (189 starts), tying a Revolution record for appearances while scoring 53 goals (second highest in Revolution history) and tallying 45 assists. Fagundez became the youngest player to reach 100 appearances in MLS history on June 13, 2015 (20 years and 119-days-old) in a 2-0 win against the Chicago Fire, and the youngest player to score 25 goals in the League after scoring in a 1-0 road win against the Philadelphia Union on August 29, 2015 at the age of 20 years and 196 days. Fagundez has also registered 15 appearances (12 starts) in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup between 2012-19.
The experienced midfielder signed as a Homegrown Player with New England at the age of 15 in 2010 and debuted professionally in MLS as a 16-year-old the following year, making a substitute appearance against Chivas USA on August 6, 2011. Fagundez, who was born in Montevideo, Uruguay, made four (4) appearances (two (2) starts) with the U-20 Uruguay National Team during the 2015 Campeonato Sudamericano Sub-20, helping the country qualify for its 12th U-20 FIFA World Cup.
Fagundez was eligible for MLS free agency ahead of the 2021 season after qualifying under the new League free agency rules which allow an existing MLS player who is at least 24-years-old with five (5) years of MLS experience to explore free agency if they are out-of-contract. For additional Rules and Procedure about MLS Free Agency, click here.
As of January 5, 2021, Austin FC's roster consists of:
Brady Scott (USA)
Brad Stuver (USA)
Andrew Tarbell (USA)
Julio Cascante (Costa Rica)
Nick Lima (USA)
Jhohan Romaña (Colombia)
Ben Sweat (USA)
Diego Fagundez (USA)
Hector Jimenez (USA)
Alex Ring (Finland)
Ulises Segura (Costa Rica)
Jared Stroud (USA)
Cecilio DomÃnguez (Paraguay)
Jon Gallagher (Ireland)
Danny Hoesen (Netherlands)
Rodney Redes (Paraguay)
Transaction: Austin FC acquires free agent midfielder Diego Fagundez on January 5, 2021.
Player Details Brad Stuver
Name: Diego Fagundez (pronounced "de-A-go fuh-GOON-des")
Born: February 14, 1995
Birthplace: Montevideo, Uruguay
Nationality: United States
CLUB YEAR MATCHES GOALS
New England Revolution 2011-20 265 53
TOTAL 265 53
CUP AND NATIONAL TEAM STATISTICS
LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP YEAR MATCHES GOALS
New England Revolution 2012-19 15 1
TOTAL 15 1
NATIONAL TEAM YEAR MATCHES GOALS
Uruguay U-20 2015 2 0
TOTAL 2 0
Statistics source: MLSsoccer.com / Soccerway
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Defeats San Antonio FC 5-1 in Last Preseason La Copita Match
- Austin FC Draws 3-3 with FC Dallas in Second Preseason La Copita Match
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast
- Austin FC Falls 3-2 to Houston Dynamo FC in First Preseason La Copita Match