MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today Hassani Dotson has been called up to the U23 U.S. Men's National Team ahead of the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship.
The U23s are gathering as a group for the first time since the suspension of the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship 10 months ago and will use this last opportunity for Head Coach Jason Kreis to build and evaluate the roster ahead of the resumption of the qualifying tournament in March.
"With Olympic qualifying approaching quickly, this training camp is a great opportunity to prepare ourselves and evaluate some new faces," Kreis said. "While 2020 was a very challenging year, it was impressive to see so many U23-eligible players make major strides on the field. Some of them have been involved with the senior team over the last few months and it's exciting to now get our players and staff back together in camp alongside Gregg and his group as we prepare for a very important qualifying tournament."
U-23 USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club):
GOALKEEPERS (3): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Brady Scott (Austin FC)
DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), George Bello (Atlanta United FC), Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven/NED), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg/GER), Andrés Perea* (Orlando City SC), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)
FORWARDS (7): Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), JesÃºs Ferreira (FC Dallas), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC), Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact/CAN)
*Player is currently ineligible to represent the United States
U23 USMNT ROSTER NOTES
Players born on or after Jan. 1, 1997 are age-eligible for the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship, and Kreis selected 10 players born in 1997, two born in 1998, two born in 1999, five born in 2000, four born in 2001, two born in 2002 and one born in 2003.
The 26-player roster comes from 16 clubs, 14 in Major League Soccer and one each from Germany and the Netherlands.
Three players each come from FC Dallas, Orlando City SC and the San Jose Earthquakes.
Eight players have been capped by the USMNT: defenders Julian Araujo, Miles Robinson and Sam Vines, midfielder Jackson Yueill and forwards Jeremy Ebobisse, Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Lewis and Djordje Mihailovic.
Eleven players have been part of a final U.S. roster at a FIFA Youth World Cup tournament:
2017 U20 World Cup - Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski, midfielder Eryk Williamson and forward Jeremy Ebobisse
2019 U20 World Cup - Goalkeeper David Ochoa, defenders Julian Araujo, Chris Gloster and Aboubacar Keita
2017 and 2019 U20 World Cups - Goalkeeper Brady Scott
2017 U17 World Cup - Gloster and defender Bryan Reynolds
2019 U17 World Cup - Defender George Bello midfielder Bryang Kayo
Though part of the camp roster, midfielder Andrés Perera is currently ineligible to represent the United States after playing for Colombia at the U17 World Cup in 2017 and U20 World Cup in 2019.
Nine players were involved in the USMNT's December training camp: Julian Araujo, Daryl Dike, JT Marcinkowski, Djordje Mihailovic, David Ochoa, AndreÅ Perea, Mauricio Pineda, Sam Vines and Jackson Yueill.
Ten players make their first appearance with the U23 USMNT this cycle: George Bello, Cade Cowell, Daryl Dike, Bryang Kayo, Aboubacar Keita, Andrés Perea, Mauricio Pineda, Bryan Reynolds and Tanner Tessman.
Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic leads the roster with five U23 USMNT caps. He captained the squad in its last three international matches.
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski has appeared in all eight training camps for the U23 USMNT this cycle, including the team's joint camp with the USMNT in June 2019.
Fourteen of 24 domestic-based players are MLS Homegrowns.
A total of 24 of 26 players spent time in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.
In addition to the 14 players from MLS teams that came up through their respective academies, the remaining 10 players last played for the following DA teams: Julian Araujo (Barca Academy), Hassani Dotson (Crossfire Premier), Jeremy Ebobisse (Bethesda-Olney), Chris Gloster (New York Red Bulls), Bryang Kayo (D.C. United), Henry Kessler (Beachside SC), Jonathan Lewis (Kendall SC), Miles Robinson (FC Boston Bolts), Brady Scott (De Anza Force), Jackson Yueill (Minnesota Thunder Academy).
Six players have won Development Academy Championships. Aaron Herrera took home the 2013 U15/16 National Championship with Real Salt Lake-Arizona, while Djordje Mihailovic and Mauricio Pineda helped the Chicago Fire win the 2015 U17/18 Academy title.
JesÃºs Ferreira and Bryan Reynolds were part of the FC Dallas U15/16 team that won the 2016 Academy Championship. Reynolds was also part of the club's U17/18 team that also won the championship that year.
George Bello won the 2017 Academy Championship with Atlanta United's U15/16 squad.
The seven players born in 2001 or later - Julian Araujo, George Bello, Cade Cowell, Bryang Kayo, David Ochoa, Bryan Reynolds and Tanner Tessmann - are also age-eligible for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Signs Defender DJ Taylor
- MNUFC Sign New Contracts for Jacori Hayes, Brent Kallman, Callum Montgomery and Adrian Zendejas
- Minnesota United Acquires Defender Jukka Raitala Via Trade from Club de Foot Montreal
- Minnesota United Select Justin McMaster, Nabilai Kibunguchy and Sean O'Hearn in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying