LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has named Greg Vanney Head Coach. Vanney, 46, began his professional career as a player with the LA Galaxy and returns as Head Coach after a six-year stint as Toronto FC's Manager in which he became the only coach to capture an MLS Treble by winning MLS Cup, the MLS Supporters' Shield and the Canadian Championship during the 2017 season.
"I am extremely excited about the opportunity to coach the LA Galaxy," said Vanney. "The LA Galaxy are an iconic club with a rich history in Los Angeles, MLS and North American soccer over the last 25 years. I want to thank Dennis te Kloese, Chris Klein, Dan Beckerman and Mr. Anschutz for the opportunity to coach this team and represent a club so close to my heart. I am committed to working tirelessly for this club, our fans and Los Angeles to win a championship. I look forward to this new challenge in my career and am eager to get started."
Vanney's coaching staff at the LA Galaxy will be named at a later date.
Vanney stepped down as Toronto FC manager following the 2020 MLS Season as both the most successful and longest-tenured coach in Toronto FC's history with every major club record, including total wins (112) and games coached (250). In all, Vanney recorded an 87-68-48 MLS Regular Season record and a 10-5-2 MLS postseason record while being named MLS Coach of the Year and Concacaf Coach of the Year in 2017. As Toronto FC's coach, the former Galaxy defender helped lead his side to the MLS Cup Playoffs in five of the previous six seasons (2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020), while making appearances in three MLS Cup Finals (2016, 2017, 2019) and the Concacaf Champions League Final (2018). He also helped his side capture three-straight Canadian Championships (2016, 2017, 2018).
"Greg is a part of the history of the LA Galaxy and we are confident that he is the right person to lead our team moving forward," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He has deep knowledge of this club and Major League Soccer as a player and a coach and has proven to be a consistent winner with a championship pedigree. His accolades as Toronto FC's manager are evidence of his ability to create and sustain success in our league. We look forward to working with Greg to continue to build a team that will compete for trophies."
As a player, Vanney made 270 total MLS Regular Season appearances, including 193 as a member of the LA Galaxy, tied with for the seventh-most appearances of any player in LA Galaxy history. With LA, Vanney helped lead the club to a Supporters' Shield (1998), CONCACAF Champions' Cup (2000) and U.S. Open Cup (2001) while being named to the MLS Best XI twice (2000, 2001) and earning honors as LA Galaxy Defender of the Year (2001). He also made an additional 32 MLS Cup Playoff appearances, including 26 postseason appearances with the Galaxy.
"We are thrilled that Greg is returning to the LA Galaxy as our Head Coach," said LA Galaxy President Chris Klein. "Greg is focused on building a culture that will serve as the foundation of this club. He is detail-oriented, a fierce competitor and has a deep understanding of our league and what it takes to succeed on and off the field. He will be an outstanding ambassador for the LA Galaxy, our supporters and Los Angeles."
Vanney began his professional playing career after being drafted by the Galaxy from UCLA with the 17th overall selection in the 1996 MLS College Draft. During his time as a professional, Vanney represented the Galaxy, FC Dallas, Colorado Rapids and D.C. United in Major League Soccer while also playing a stint for Bastia in France. He also earned 37 caps with the U.S. Men's National Team, making his debut in 1996 before later featuring in the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup Championship and 2006 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
Following his retirement after the 2008 MLS season, Vanney served as the Real Salt Lake Youth Academy Director from 2008-2011 before joining Chivas USA as an assistant coach from 2011-2012. Vanney originally joined Toronto FC as the club's assistant general manager and academy director in 2013 before being named head coach and technical director on August 31, 2014.
Vanney MLS Regular Season - Manager
Year Team W L T Pct.
2014 Toronto FC 2 6 2 .300
2015 Toronto FC 15 15 4 .500
2016 Toronto FC 14 9 11 .574
2017 Toronto FC 20 5 9 .721
2018 Toronto FC 10 18 6 .382
2019 Toronto FC 13 10 11 .544
2020 Toronto FC 13 5 5 .674
Career Totals 87 68 48 .547
Vanney MLS Cup Playoffs -
Year Team W L T Pct.
2015 Toronto FC 0 1 0 .000
2016 Toronto FC 4 1 1 .750
2017 Toronto FC 3 1 1 .700
2019 Toronto FC 3 1 0 .750
2020 Toronto FC 0 1 0 .000
Career Totals 10 5 2 .647
Vanney MLS Regular Season - Player
Year Team GP GS MIN
1996 Galaxy 29 24 2236
1997 Galaxy 28 27 2318
1998 Galaxy 31 27 2321
1999 Galaxy 31 31 2790
2000 Galaxy 27 27 2526
2001 Galaxy 22 22 2032
2005 FC Dallas 25 25 2210
2006 FC Dallas 28 28 2510
2007 Rapids 9 9 780
2007 United 15 14 1261
2007 Season 24 23 2041
2008 Galaxy 25 24 2050
Career Totals 270 258 23034
Vanney MLS Cup Playoffs - Player
Year Team GP GS MIN
1996 Galaxy 6 6 544
1997 Galaxy 2 2 147
1998 Galaxy 1 0 2
1999 Galaxy 6 6 540
2000 Galaxy 5 5 469
2001 Galaxy 6 6 536
2005 FC Dallas 2 2 210
2006 FC Dallas 2 2 210
2007 United 2 2 180
Career Totals 32 31 2838
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2021 Major League Soccer season are now available. LA Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. In addition to visiting lagalaxy.com/since96, fans can secure 2021 Season Ticket Memberships by emailing email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2021
- Austin FC Goalkeeper Brady Scott Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - Austin FC
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award - Los Angeles FC
- Four Lions Named to USMNT and U-23 USMNT Rosters - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Name Greg Vanney Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Pair Receives Call for U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Kellyn Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Sam Vines Named to USMNT, U-23 MNT January Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Defender Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp - Portland Timbers
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying - Minnesota United FC
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021 - D.C. United
- Matt Turner and Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called into U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by United States U23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- 2021 Soccer Almanac: Key Dates and Major Tournaments in Busy Year Ahead - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Names Pablo Mastroeni Assistant Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Austin FC Acquires 25-Year-Old Free Agent Midfielder Diego Fagundez - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo and Goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp Roster
- LA Galaxy to Begin Preseason at Dignity Health Sports Park on Monday, March 1
- LA Galaxy Unveil 2021 Community Kit
- LA Galaxy Announces Jersey Partnership with Honey
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Carlos Harvey