Marlies and Checkers Clash in Sunday Matinee
The Marlies and Checkers return to action today following an exciting Saturday night clash that saw the Marlies edge the Checkers 4-3 in overtime. After last night's win, the Marlies improved to 20-15-3-2 on the season and 11-5-1-2 on the road.
Today's game marks the fourth and final regular season meeting between these two teams, with the Marlies holding a 2-1 lead in the season series. Both wins over the league-leading Checkers have come in overtime after the Checkers have fought back.
Following yesterday's game, Marlies head coach Sheldon Keefe spoke to the importance of playing a full 60-minutes and that will definitely be part of the focus heading into today's matchup. In addition, the Marlies will need to play a disciplined game after taking seven penalties in last night's game. Toronto went 6-for-7 on the penalty kill, only allowing the one goal and went 1-for-3 on the power play. The Marlies lead the AHL in power play goals scored on the road (26) and are second overall in percentage (29.2).
Players to watch: Calle Rosen recorded a goal and an assist in last night's contest. His 23 helpers this season are good for fourth in the league amongst defenceman. Jeremy Bracco also recorded a goal and an assist last night and continues to lead the league in assists with 30. Pierre Engvall notched a goal last night and now has three goals in his last four games.
Puck drops at 6:00 PM on AHLTV. Fans can also follow us on Twitter for live game updates.
Head to Head (2018-19 Regular Season)
20-15-3-2 Overall Record 30-9-4-0
1-1-0-1 Head To Head 2-1-0-0
Loss 1 Streak Win 3
142 Goals For 149
143 Goals Against 120
22.7% Power Play Percentage 18.9%
76.6% Penalty Kill Percentage 83.8%
C. Mueller/T. Moore (19) Leading Goal Scorer A. Poturalski (17)
C. Mueller (40) Leading Points Scorer A. Poturalski (42)
E. McAdam (9) Wins Leader A. Nedeljkovic (20)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2019
- Rampage Fall in Weekend Sweep to Moose - San Antonio Rampage
- Defenseman Nolan Gluchowski Returned to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Moose Take down San Antonio, 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Dropped by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals End Skid with Shutout Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lindholm, Toninato Head to Avalanche, Eagles Recall Dickinson - Colorado Eagles
- Roadrunners Weekly (January 20) - Tucson Roadrunners
- Checkers Suffer Shutout Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- Ryan Lindgren, Boo Nieves Rejoin Wolf Pack, Zach Tolkinen, Terrence Wallin Released from PTOs - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds/Rocket Game on January 21 Postponed to 7:05 p.m. - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Reassign Niku and Schilling to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Recall Overhardt from Atlanta - Milwaukee Admirals
- Marlies and Checkers Clash in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Knott the OT Hero as Hogs Snap Road Skid - Rockford IceHogs
- Hill Shuts out Colorado to Shoulder Roadrunners' 2-0 Victory - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls' Point Streak Snapped - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Snap San Diego's Streak, 6-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Parsons Holds off Stars Offense for Stockton - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Marlies Set for Game 5 of Eastern Conference Finals
- Marlies Look to Even Series on Home Ice
- Eastern Conference Finals Head to Coca-Cola Coliseum
- Marlies Ready for Game Two of ECF
- Marlies Confident as They Prepare to Square off against Checkers in Eastern Conference Final