Mallards Grab Rain-Shortened Victory against Battle Creek
MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (40-27) grabbed their 40th victory of the season in six innings, after the game was called due to lightning and rain. Madison defeated Battle Creek (22-45) 4-3 to grab the game one win.
Battle Creek struck early, grabbing a 1-0 lead on an RBI single by John Malcom (Vanderbilt). The lead did not last long, as the Mallards evened the score in the bottom of the inning. A first pitch RBI single by Justice Bigbie (Western Carolina), tied the game at one.
The Bombers were silent in the second, giving the Mallards a chance to take their first lead of the game. Ben Anderson (Georgia) slammed an RBI single to bring in another run and put Madison on top 2-1.
Battle Creeks' action in the third inning was identical to the second. Madisons' bats continued to make noise, rattling the Bombers defense. An error on Battle Creeks' first baseman brought another man home for the Mallards. Madison held onto a 3-1 lead going into the fourth.
A two-run lead going into the fourth did not shake the Bombers. Cooper Trinkle (John A. Logan College) hammered a solo home run to bring Battle Creek back within one, 3-2. The Mallards bats remained consistent in the bottom of the inning. Nicholas Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) knocked an RBI single to double Madisons' lead 4-2.
Once again the Bombers pushed forward to cut the Mallards lead. In the top of the fifth, an RBI single from Trinkle put Battle Creek within one, 4-3.
The sixth inning was silent for the Bombers, but was cut short after rain began to pour and lightning began to strike. In the bottom of the sixth with two outs, the game was called and counts as complete after going further than five innings.
Taking the victory on the mound for the Mallards is Deylen Miley (Bellarmine). Miley powered through the top of the sixth without allowing the Bombers to tie the game or regain the lead.
Walter Talcott (Earlham College) was handed the loss after he pitched through five innings and gave up all four of the Mallards runs.
Madison and Battle Creek will meet for the series finale at the Duck Pond on Wednesday, August 7. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
Nicholas Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) doubled the Mallards lead with an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 4-2.
- Figus went 3-for-3 at the plate with a crucial RBI single.
- Anderson made his way on base three times out of four appearances at the plate.
The 2019 Northwoods League Major League Dreams Showcase will be hosted at the Duck Pond tomorrow. The showcase features the leagues top 100 players in a double header, game one is set for 4:05 p.m. and game two is slated for 7:35 p.m. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Bombers Fall in Shortened Game to Madison - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Drop Game One of Series to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Vial Goes out with Bang in 14-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Kingfish Comeback to Beat Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Explode for 10 Runs against Green Bay - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers After Rain Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Fall in First Game in Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Express Come Roaring Back to Defeat Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Passino Throws Complete Game, MoonDogs Cruise Past Rox Monday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Grab Rain-Shortened Victory against Battle Creek - Madison Mallards
- Loggers-Huskies Game Postponed - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Game Postponed - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers' Game Postponed to Wednesday - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Enter Final Week in the Thick of the Playoff Hunt - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Face Kenosha in Road Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rivets Ink Professional Contracts - Rockford Rivets
- This Week in Express Baseball - Eau Claire Express
- Pit Spitters Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday; First Home Playoff Game on August 13 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards Return Home After Splitting Two Road Series - Madison Mallards
- Cats Seize Opportunities to Sweep Huskies - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Rox Rout Honkers to Earn Sweep - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Spooktacular Lineup of Movies Headed to the Haunted Duck Pond Drive-In
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison
- Mallards General Manager Tyler Isham Moving On
- Mallards Offer Exclusive 2020 Bobbleheads with Drive-In Movies
- in Memoriam: Madison Mallards 2020 Season (2020-2020)