Express Come Roaring Back to Defeat Larks
Eau Claire, WI - The Eau Claire Express (17-12) came roaring back against the Bismarck Larks (10-21) to win 7-6. After a slow and sluggish start, a huge, 5-run 7th inning drove Eau Claire to victory.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
The Express got one run in each of the first two innings. In the 1st, Cole Cabrera (Cal Poly) was hit by a pitch, stole both second and third base, then scored on a sacrifice fly. To start the 2nd inning, Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) singled and stole second. He advanced to third on a single from Sam Stonskas (Blackhawk CC) and scored on an RBI double hit by Cabrera.
Bismarck's offense began to show power in the 3rd inning. They took a 3-2 lead on a three-run home run hit by Hanchey that was a no doubter to left field. Hanchey wasn't finished yet. The catcher blasted a solo shot in the 5th inning for his second homer of the game and gave Bismarck a 4-2 lead.
Eau Claire could not get anything going until the 7th inning when they came roaring to life, scoring 5 runs to go up 7-4. Brock Burton (Grand Canyon) singled and moved to second on an error by the Larks centerfielder. Matt Bottcher (Illinois-Chicago) followed with a walk. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch and came in to score on a 2 RBI single from Zach Gilles (Central Michigan). After a mound visit, Marinconz singled to move Gilles to third. In the next at bat, David LaManna (Notre Dame) singled to play Gilles. The bases loaded on a Brandon Dieter (Stanford) walk and the final run of the inning scored on a Cabrera hit by pitch.
The Larks attempted a comeback in the 8th inning but could only manage to score 2 runs and bring the score to the final of 7-6.
Craig Colen (Cal Poly) started for the Express and went 6.0 innings, giving up four runs on eight hits and two walks while striking out seven. Kuster Kinlecheenie (Montevallo) earned the win after tossing 2.0 innings and allowing two runs on two hits and four walks. Brandon Dieter (Stanford) earned the save after entered and slamming the door shut on the Larks in the 9th.
The Major League Dreams Showcase is slated for Tuesday, August 6th, and the Express will have three representatives in the game. Congratulations and best of luck to Matt Bottcher, Alec Baker, and Brandon Dieter. The Express will then return home on Wednesday, August 7th, for a 6:35 pm first pitch against the Larks. Join us for Field of Dreams Night, sponsored by Stucky Chiropractic and Kristo Orthodontics! Is this Heaven? No, it's Carson Park. Walk through the cornfields and join us as we welcome Dwier Brown, the actor that played John Kinsella in "Field of Dreams' while we honor one of the greatest baseball movies ever made.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Bombers Fall in Shortened Game to Madison - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Drop Game One of Series to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Vial Goes out with Bang in 14-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Kingfish Comeback to Beat Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Explode for 10 Runs against Green Bay - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers After Rain Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Fall in First Game in Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Express Come Roaring Back to Defeat Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Passino Throws Complete Game, MoonDogs Cruise Past Rox Monday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Grab Rain-Shortened Victory against Battle Creek - Madison Mallards
- Loggers-Huskies Game Postponed - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Game Postponed - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers' Game Postponed to Wednesday - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Enter Final Week in the Thick of the Playoff Hunt - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Face Kenosha in Road Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rivets Ink Professional Contracts - Rockford Rivets
- This Week in Express Baseball - Eau Claire Express
- Pit Spitters Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday; First Home Playoff Game on August 13 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards Return Home After Splitting Two Road Series - Madison Mallards
- Cats Seize Opportunities to Sweep Huskies - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Rox Rout Honkers to Earn Sweep - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.