Bombers Fall in Shortened Game to Madison
The Battle Creek Bombers and Madison Mallards were unable to complete six full innings of baseball at Warner Park as rain and lightning stopped play. Because the game was longer than five innings, the Mallards won the shortened game 4-3.
After Madison jumped out to leads in both games against Battle Creek in Michigan, it was the Bombers who led after the first half inning. John Malcom delivered an RBI single to add to his team lead in runs batted in and gave Battle Creek a 1-0 lead in the first off of Madison starter Brody Gibson.
The Mallards responded right back off of Bombers starting pitcher Walter Talcott. Northwoods League RBI leader Justice Bigbie continued his phenomenal season with a run-scoring single to bring home Ben Anderson. From there, it was a steady stream of offense for Madison. One run each in the second, third, and fourth innings continued to put pressure on the Bombers.
Battle Creek scored once in the fourth and again in the fifth off the bat of Cooper Trinkle. The future Indiana Hoosier hit a solo home run in the fourth inning and garnered another RBI with a single in the fifth. In the bottom of the sixth inning, Battle Creek reliever James Reilly worked a full count to E.J. Ranel with a runner on second base. Before the pitch could be thrown, though, lightning visibly struck in the area and play was halted. The game was official at that point in time, and the game was shortly stopped.
This marks the first time this season that Battle Creek will play a game that goes final before nine innings have been played. Tomorrow, John Malcom and Beaux Bonvillain will participate in the Major League Dreams Showcase in Madison. The Bombers schedule picks up on Wednesday for their final matchup with the Mallards.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Bombers Fall in Shortened Game to Madison - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Drop Game One of Series to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Vial Goes out with Bang in 14-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Kingfish Comeback to Beat Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Explode for 10 Runs against Green Bay - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers After Rain Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Fall in First Game in Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Express Come Roaring Back to Defeat Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Passino Throws Complete Game, MoonDogs Cruise Past Rox Monday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Grab Rain-Shortened Victory against Battle Creek - Madison Mallards
- Loggers-Huskies Game Postponed - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Game Postponed - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers' Game Postponed to Wednesday - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Enter Final Week in the Thick of the Playoff Hunt - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Face Kenosha in Road Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rivets Ink Professional Contracts - Rockford Rivets
- This Week in Express Baseball - Eau Claire Express
- Pit Spitters Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday; First Home Playoff Game on August 13 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards Return Home After Splitting Two Road Series - Madison Mallards
- Cats Seize Opportunities to Sweep Huskies - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Rox Rout Honkers to Earn Sweep - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Bombers Split Doubleheader with Mac Daddies as Runs Come at a Premium
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod
- Bombers Dominate on Both Sides, Sweep Doubleheader against Mac Daddies
- Bombers, Mac Daddies Split Doubleheader as Bombers Rally Comes up Short in Nightcap
- Bombers Drop Both Games in Double-Header, as Hitting and Pitching Fail to Link Up