Rox Rout Honkers to Earn Sweep
St. Cloud, MN - Trying to catch first-place St. Cloud, the Honkers needed to rack up as many wins as possible against the Rox, but St. Cloud proved why they're a first-place team by beating Rochester 8-0 on Sunday, August 4.
St. Cloud's offense immediately got its first run when Hance Smith deposited the first pitch he saw over the center field wall.
The Rox tacked on another first-inning run against Rochester starter Mike Lopez (Cal State-San Marcos) when Jack Kelly hit an RBI single.
A 2-0 lead was plenty for St. Cloud's starting pitcher Nick Desalvo as he brought his "A+" game. He retired the first nine batters he faced.
Rochester got their first hit in the top of the fourth inning when Evan Berkey (Cal State-Bakersfield) lined a double down the third-base line.
However, Desalvo bounced back by retiring the next three batters to strand Berkey on second base.
St. Cloud added to their lead in the bottom of the fourth when Ulises Caballero and Luke Ira hit back-to-back RBI singles.
Now up 4-0, Desalvo once again retired the first three batters he faced in the fifth inning.
The Honkers finally got multiple hits in an inning in the sixth when Aaron Simmons (Wisconsin-Stevens Point) and Henry George (Minnesota-Duluth) hit back-to-back singles.
Unfortunately, Desalvo got Berkey to hit a fielder's choice and retired Kyler McMahan (Oregon State) and Andy Armstrong (Oregon State) to end the inning.
The Rox struck again in the bottom of the sixth inning when Ira hit another RBI single, Smith hit an RBI sacrifice-fly, and Gus Steiger made it three straight runs with an RBI single.
However, the 7-0 lead didn't last long as St. Cloud made it 8-0 in the seventh inning when Ben Carew lined an RBI single into the outfield.
Rochester faced a new pitcher, Justin Wick, in the eighth inning, but he followed Desalvo's lead by allowing just one base runner, George, who reached on a walk.
Ben Strassman (Rochester Community & Technical College) provided one of the Honker's few highlights when he retired the side in the bottom of the eighth inning.
In the top of the ninth inning, Wick gave up walks to McMahan and Ryan Wrobleski (Dallas Baptist), but he didn't surrender any hits and struck out A.J. Miller (Oregon) to end the game.
The 8-0 loss decreases the Honker's second-half record to 16-15, five and a half games behind the first-place Rox with six games left in the season.
Henry George was named the Profile Sanford Player of the Game for going 1-2 with a walk.
The Flock return home on Monday, August 5, when they host the Willmar Stingers at 6:35 p.m. Rochester's final home game is Wednesday, August 7, when they conclude their series against the Stingers at 6:35 p.m.
Season tickets and new all-you-can-eat ticket packages are available for purchase right now at www.RochesterHonkers.com or by calling the Honkers front office at 507-289-1170.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Bombers Fall in Shortened Game to Madison - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Drop Game One of Series to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Vial Goes out with Bang in 14-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Kingfish Comeback to Beat Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Explode for 10 Runs against Green Bay - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers After Rain Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Fall in First Game in Rockford - Green Bay Booyah
- Express Come Roaring Back to Defeat Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Passino Throws Complete Game, MoonDogs Cruise Past Rox Monday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Grab Rain-Shortened Victory against Battle Creek - Madison Mallards
- Loggers-Huskies Game Postponed - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Game Postponed - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers' Game Postponed to Wednesday - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Enter Final Week in the Thick of the Playoff Hunt - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Face Kenosha in Road Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Three Rivets Ink Professional Contracts - Rockford Rivets
- This Week in Express Baseball - Eau Claire Express
- Pit Spitters Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday; First Home Playoff Game on August 13 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards Return Home After Splitting Two Road Series - Madison Mallards
- Cats Seize Opportunities to Sweep Huskies - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Rox Rout Honkers to Earn Sweep - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.