Los Guerreros Split Games with Avocados on Friday Night
FAYETTEVILLE, NC - In the resumption of Thursday night's suspended contest, the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (14-19) overcame a 5-0 deficit, connected for a game-high 15 hits, and pulled off a 10-9 win over the Down East Wood Ducks (20-13). Down East bounced back in Friday's night cap at Segra Stadium, handing Fayetteville a 4-0 defeat to even the series at two-games a piece. Both sides represented their Copa De La Diversion alternate identities, Los Guerreros de Fayetteville and the Down East Avocados.
The Woodpeckers jumped right back into the game with four runs against Abdiel Mendoza in the third. Yeuris Ramirez drove in a run with a single, while J.C. Correa and Ronaldo Urdaneta followed with RBI hits.
Jordan Brewer cut it to a 6-5 game with a sacrifice fly in the fourth, and Bryan Arias tied the game with a solo home run in the sixth.
Luke Berryhill delivered the go-ahead swing in the seventh, a single that drove home Correa. In the eighth, Fayetteville jumped ahead to a 10-6 lead with three runs against Spencer Mraz. Freylin Garcia was also tagged for three runs in the top of the ninth but managed to strand the tying run on base and close out the 10-9 victory.
Avocado's starting pitcher Tekoah Roby (W, 2-2) set an early tone, retiring the first ten batters he faced before Yohander Martinez broke up the no-hit bid with a single in the fourth.
Roby was given a lead before stepping to the mound for the first time. Evan Carter started the game with a single off Diosmerky Tavares (L, 0-1) advanced to third on two wild pitches, and scored on a fielder's choice from Christian Inoa.
Tavares didn't allow a run the rest of the night, pitched through the fourth, and turned the game over to Whit Drennan in the fifth. Drennan loaded the bases in his first inning and Luisangel Acuna jumped the lead to 3-0 with a two-out two-run single. In the seventh, Keyber Rodriguez smacked a solo homer off Drennan, capping the score at 4-0.
Roby hurled five scoreless innings to earn his second win, and Leury Tejada struck out three over two scoreless innings of relief.
The series continues Saturday night with first pitch scheduled for 5:00 pm ET. The first 2,000 fans in attendance will receive a specialty Black Ops T-shirt for Black Ops Night.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Los Guerreros Split Games with Avocados on Friday Night - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Solesky's Quality Night Helps Guide Ballers to Third Straight Victory over Mudcats - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pelicans Score Six Unanswered, Win Game Four against the GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Split Doubleheader with Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- RiverDogs Blank Fireflies 7-0 in Front of Largest Crowd of Season - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Swoop in for Friday Night Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Warren Homers Again in 6-4 Loss at Kannapolis - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Continue Rough Stretch in 7-0 Loss to RiverDogs - Columbia Fireflies
- Doubleheader Postponed - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 'Birds and Hillcats Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Cancelled Friday - Salem Red Sox
- FredNats, Red Sox Postponed in Salem - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Black Panther Screening Moved to June 13 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 6-11 at Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Prepare for 12-Game Homestand, June 15 - 27 - Down East Wood Ducks
- GreenJackets Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hillcats Lose Resumed Game, Second Game Moved - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Cools Columbia Bats as RiverDogs Earn 5-2 Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Take Two from Pelicans on a Doubleheader Thursday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fayetteville Woodpeckers Stories
- 3rd Annual Pecktoberfest Returns to Segra Stadium October 23rd
- Tamarez and Gruller Combine to Shutout Cannon Ballers 7-0
- Bases Loaded Walk to Guerrero Walks Woodpeckers off over Cannon Ballers
- Segra Stadium to Host 3rd Annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb
- Luke Berryhill Named Low-A East Player of the Week