GreenJackets Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader
North Augusta, SC - The Augusta GreenJackets have won four consecutive games for the first time this year. On Thursday, the Jackets won game one of the doubleheader 14-6 over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Chicago Cubs). In game two, Augusta overcame a 7-2 deficit to win 8-7.
Game 1: In the first game of the doubleheader, the GreenJackets offense got things started early. After Myrtle Beach scored a run in the first frame, the Jackets came back in the home-half with a Willie Carter sacrifice fly to tie the score.
In the second, Brandon Parker went deep for the fifth time this year. His two run shot put Augusta in front, 3-1. The Pelicans responded in the third with two runs to tie it up.
In the home-half of the third, a crooked number put away Myrtle Beach. The GreenJackets offense manufactured six runs on only three hits, and they chased Pelicans starting pitcher D.J. Herz. The southpaw was the Chicago Cubs Minor League Pitcher of the Month in May and allowed nine runs over 2.2 innings.
Stephen Paolini drove in two runs on the day. Landon Stephens led the way with a 3-for-4 day. Eight of nine GreenJackets had a hit and seven of nine GreenJackets had an RBI. Roddery Munoz earned the win going 5.1 innings and allowing six runs as the Jackets won by a final of 14-6.
Game 2: Myrtle Beach scored a run in the first inning, but Stephens responded in the home-half. His first home run of the year, a two run shot, gave Augusta the 2-1 advantage.
The Pelicans offense kept scoring runs in the 2nd inning. A triple from Ezequiel Pagan tied the score, then it was Yohendrick Pinango singling to give Myrtle Beach the lead. The Pelicans extended their lead to 7-2, but the Jackets began their comeback in the third. A wild pitch made it 7-3. In the 4th, Victor De Hoyos moonshot made it 7-4.
Later in the frame, Grissom walked with the bases loaded to make it 7-5. A Carter flare drove in two, and we were tied at seven. In the 5th inning, Stephens walked with the bases loaded and the Jackets led 8-7.
Justin Yeager kept the Pelicans at bay in the 6th, and it was Kenny Wells to earn the save in the 7th.
Vaughn Grissom went 3-5, and scored six runs between the two games.
Justin Yeager improved to 3-0 on the season.
Braulio Vasquez stole his 24th base of the season.
Friday, June 11th, 2021 vs Myrtle Beach Pelicans - 7:05 p.m.
Gates Open 5:30pm
Faith & Family Night!
- Come on out and join us for Faith and Family Night. West Avenue Worship from First Baptist Church North Augusta will perform a Pre-Game Concert from 5:30-6:45
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Los Guerreros Split Games with Avocados on Friday Night - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Solesky's Quality Night Helps Guide Ballers to Third Straight Victory over Mudcats - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pelicans Score Six Unanswered, Win Game Four against the GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Split Doubleheader with Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- RiverDogs Blank Fireflies 7-0 in Front of Largest Crowd of Season - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Swoop in for Friday Night Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Warren Homers Again in 6-4 Loss at Kannapolis - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Continue Rough Stretch in 7-0 Loss to RiverDogs - Columbia Fireflies
- Doubleheader Postponed - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 'Birds and Hillcats Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Cancelled Friday - Salem Red Sox
- FredNats, Red Sox Postponed in Salem - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Black Panther Screening Moved to June 13 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 6-11 at Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Prepare for 12-Game Homestand, June 15 - 27 - Down East Wood Ducks
- GreenJackets Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hillcats Lose Resumed Game, Second Game Moved - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Cools Columbia Bats as RiverDogs Earn 5-2 Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Take Two from Pelicans on a Doubleheader Thursday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Announce 2022 Game Schedule
- Back-To-Back Pitcher of the Week Award for Andrew Hoffmann
- Hoffmann Brings Home Low-A East Pitcher of the Week for September 7-12
- Winning Streak Snapped, Jackets Fall 7-6 in Home Finale
- Malloy Homers Twice, Jackets Win Seventh Straight