Hillcats Lose Resumed Game, Second Game Moved
Lynchburg, Virginia - The Delmarva Shorebirds (22-9) offense handed the Lynchburg Hillcats (16-15) an 8-2 loss in game one and the rain handed everyone a loss in game two, forcing a rescheduled doubleheader for June 11th.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After two scoreless innings on Wednesday night, the game resumed in the top of the third. New Hillcats pitcher Miguel Vinicio pitched a shutout first frame, but the Shorebirds tallied in the top of the fourth after Gunnar Henderson doubled and scored on a fielder's choice.
Delmarva hurler Houston Roth retired the first nine Lynchburg batters he faced, giving the Shorebirds a chance to extend their 1-0 lead. With Jaime Arias now on the mound for Lynchburg in the sixth, Delmarva poured on three runs, all unearned, after the Hillcats committed three errors in one frame. The miscues put the Shorebirds up 4-0.
Lynchburg cut the lead in half in the bottom of the inning against Roth. Yordys Valdes walked, and moved along on a Gabriel Rodriguez one out single to left. Both runners came home when Yanier Diaz smoked a double for RBIs 15 and 16 on the year. The two runs made it 4-2 heading into the seventh.
Both teams were silent in the 7th, however the Shorebirds put the nail in the coffin in the top of the 8th. Lynchburg hurler Cade Smith walked three batters and gave up a hit, coming out after two outs on the mound. The highlight for the Shorebirds was a triple to left center field that scored Hudson Haskin and ballooned their lead to 8-2.
Daritzon Feliz pitched a scoreless top of the ninth, but the Lynchburg bats did not have enough juice for a six run rally.
After a bout of rain the Hillcats and Shorebirds rescheduled their doubleheader until Friday.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
The Shorebirds stole seven bases against the Hillcats, the most of any opponent this year.
The rainout with the Hillcats is their third of the season, all having come against the Shorebirds.
The Hillcats are back in action Friday in a doubleheader at Bank of the James Stadium against Delmarva. Game one is set for 5:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Los Guerreros Split Games with Avocados on Friday Night - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Solesky's Quality Night Helps Guide Ballers to Third Straight Victory over Mudcats - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pelicans Score Six Unanswered, Win Game Four against the GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Split Doubleheader with Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- RiverDogs Blank Fireflies 7-0 in Front of Largest Crowd of Season - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Swoop in for Friday Night Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Warren Homers Again in 6-4 Loss at Kannapolis - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Continue Rough Stretch in 7-0 Loss to RiverDogs - Columbia Fireflies
- Doubleheader Postponed - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 'Birds and Hillcats Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Cancelled Friday - Salem Red Sox
- FredNats, Red Sox Postponed in Salem - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Black Panther Screening Moved to June 13 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 6-11 at Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Prepare for 12-Game Homestand, June 15 - 27 - Down East Wood Ducks
- GreenJackets Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hillcats Lose Resumed Game, Second Game Moved - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Cools Columbia Bats as RiverDogs Earn 5-2 Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Take Two from Pelicans on a Doubleheader Thursday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.