Pelicans Swoop in for Friday Night Win
North Augusta, SC - The Augusta GreenJackets couldn't get back to the .500 mark on Friday night. The Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Chicago Cubs) won by a final score of 6-2. The Jackets will look to win the series with a win on Saturday or Sunday in the series finale.
Augusta drops to 16-18. Myrtle Beach goes to 16-17.
The GreenJackets took the momentum from their two wins yesterday and scored right out of the gate. A Brandon Parker double gave the GreenJackets an early 2-0 lead. The Pelicans offense went to work against Tanner Gordon in the 2nd inning. Ryan Reynolds RBI single got the Pelicans on the board, and later in the inning, Ezequiel Pagan's sacrifice fly tied the game at two.
The Pelicans utilized the long-ball in the fourth inning. A solo home run for Luis Verdugo put the Pelicans in front at 3-2. Tanner Gordon went five innings allowing three runs in his GreenJackets debut. He struck out four.
The Pelicans tacked on another run, in the sixth inning, thanks to a Jonathan Sierra single. It was 4-2 Myrtle Beach. In the 8th inning, a throwing error allowed another run to score. A sixth run came in the 9th on a double from Matt Matt Mervis, and that was plenty for the Pelicans. They held on for the 6-2 victory.
Ben Thompson went 2.0 innings allowing one run, it was unearned.
Vaughn Grissom went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
Cade Bunnell walked three times.
Saturday, June 12th, 2021 vs Myrtle Beach Pelicans - 6:05 p.m.
Gates Open 4:30 pm
F*R*I*E*N*D*S Night with The One Where They Go to the Game Package which includes 6 Reserved Seat tickets to the Saturday game, and a Food Voucher!
Another Saturday, another Anthony and London Thaun State Farm Family Saturday! Come on out and cheer on the Jackets!
Media Sponsor: KICKS99
The White Claw Concert Series continues with a Pre-game Concert from 4:30-5:45 featuring Chris Strikeland
- Guests can enjoy $2 Off White Claw from 4:30 until first pitch
- It's the 3rd Booming Fireworks Show of 2021 presented by Augusta To Go. You don't want to miss it!
Sunday, June 13th, 2021 vs Myrtle Beach Pelicans - 2:05 p.m.
Gates open 1:00pm
Bark in the Park #2! Bring out your four-legged GreenJackets fan for a day at the ballpark! Presented by Hollywood Feed
Sunday FUNday presented thanks to Shout 94.7 - Enjoy kid-friendly themes and activities during the game, including Face Painting by Rainbow Factory!
- It's a Jr. Jackets Kids Club game presented by Best Office Solutions, Family YMCA of Greater Augusta, Pediatric Partners & Tum-E Yummies. It's FREE to join and members 12 & younger will receive free admission this game, special perks and themes at every Sunday game - not a member register today: https://www.milb.com/augusta/community/jr-jackets-activities
- The first 200 Jr. Jackets Members to check in at the Jr. Jackets Table outside the Main Gate will receive a FREE Ice Cream Sandwich Voucher that can be redeemed at the Back 9 Grill, the Bee'Stro, McGavins, and the Front 9 only
Every Sunday features the Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ Sunday Savings Meal Deal for fans 12 and under to enjoy savings and a delicious menu option.
To learn more or purchase tickets to this homestand visit: https://www.milb.com/augusta/tickets/promotions
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Los Guerreros Split Games with Avocados on Friday Night - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Solesky's Quality Night Helps Guide Ballers to Third Straight Victory over Mudcats - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pelicans Score Six Unanswered, Win Game Four against the GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Split Doubleheader with Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- RiverDogs Blank Fireflies 7-0 in Front of Largest Crowd of Season - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Swoop in for Friday Night Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Warren Homers Again in 6-4 Loss at Kannapolis - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Continue Rough Stretch in 7-0 Loss to RiverDogs - Columbia Fireflies
- Doubleheader Postponed - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 'Birds and Hillcats Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Cancelled Friday - Salem Red Sox
- FredNats, Red Sox Postponed in Salem - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Black Panther Screening Moved to June 13 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 6-11 at Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Prepare for 12-Game Homestand, June 15 - 27 - Down East Wood Ducks
- GreenJackets Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hillcats Lose Resumed Game, Second Game Moved - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Cools Columbia Bats as RiverDogs Earn 5-2 Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Take Two from Pelicans on a Doubleheader Thursday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Announce 2022 Game Schedule
- Back-To-Back Pitcher of the Week Award for Andrew Hoffmann
- Hoffmann Brings Home Low-A East Pitcher of the Week for September 7-12
- Winning Streak Snapped, Jackets Fall 7-6 in Home Finale
- Malloy Homers Twice, Jackets Win Seventh Straight