Late Goal Helps Cyclones Edge K-Wings
Cincinnati, OH. - Kalamazoo and Cincinnati remained deadlocked for the majority of the game on Saturday night, but a goal with 3:30 to play in regulation pushed the Cyclones past Kalamazoo 2-1.
The K-Wings (4-7-0-1) netted their fifth short-handed goal of the season, tying their total from last season. Collin Jacobs, making his Kalamazoo debut, notched his first point as a K-Wing in the loss.
Myles Powell has had the hot hand for the Cyclones lately and that continued Saturday, as the forward got the Cyclones on the board less than two minutes into the opening period. Alex Wideman won a race into the right corner, securing the puck for the Cyclones. Wideman connected with Powell in front of the cage as the Cyclones pushed the puck past Jake Hildebrand, taking a 1-0 lead. As a penalty filled first period continued it was the K-Wings penalty kill that drew blood next. Causing a turnover in the left corner, Collin Jacobs centered to Chris Collins who quickly buried the puck past Michael Houser, tying the game at 1-1.
The K-Wings looked to have taken the lead in the middle frame when Chris Collins seemed to have scored his second short-handed tally of the night, but after a brief discussion the goal was waved off, sending the teams into the second intermission tied at 1-1.
A tie game continued late into the third period. With 3:30 left it was the Cyclones that broke the deadlock. Cutting across the slot, Anthony Florentino collected a loose rebound and wristed a shot past a sprawling Hildebrand, giving the Cyclones a 2-1 lead. As time wound down in the period the K-Wings were unable to get another puck past Houser, as Kalamazoo fell 2-1 on Saturday night.
Hildebrand stopped 27 of 29 shots, while Houser stopped 26 of 27 in the victory. The teams combined for a total of 102 penalty minutes, although neither team scored a power play goal.
Kalamazoo is back in action on Wednesday night in Cincinnati squaring off with the Cyclones again.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 17, 2018
- Grizzlies Blank Fuel in Rubber Match at Maverik Center - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Falter Late in Shootout Loss to Kansas City - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Doubles up Atlanta 6-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Drop 5-1 Decision to Railers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits' Fast Start Halted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sixth Sense: 'Blades Find Back of Net Early, Often in Win over Gladiators - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Win Penalty-Filled Affair in Thrilling Fashion - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Late Goal Helps Cyclones Edge K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Erase Two-Goal, Third Period Deficit in Shootout Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen's Motte Blanks Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- IceMen Cool Rabbits' Hot Start in Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Down Stingrays, 4-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Offense Shines Bright in 5-1 Home Win over Solar Bears - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win 8 Straight Games - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Win Second Straight with Spinozzi's Four-Point Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Melanson's Shorthanded Goal Give Mariners Split in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Late Short-Handed Goal Sinks Beast - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Railers - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 17 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot, November 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Sign Forward Alec Baer - Maine Mariners
- Wings Add Forward Mele - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Look to Bounce Back at Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Lone Game of Week Sends Wings to Cincy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Game Day: 3-D Jerseys vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Fall to Indy 3-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Hold Strong in 3-2 Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Take Game Two of Three Game Road Series in Utah - Indy Fuel
- Mariners Blanked in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Jenys Scores Twice, But Americans Fall to Tulsa 3-2 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Blanks Mavericks on Wizards Night - Wichita Thunder
- Alberga's Hat Trick Propels Admirals to 5-3 Win at Atlanta - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.