LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Ryan LaMarre went 3-for-4 with four RBIs to lift the Gwinnett Stripers (7-4) over the Charlotte Knights (7-5) 9-8 on Monday at Coolray Field. Atlanta Braves pitcher Mike Foltynewicz made his third rehab start for Gwinnett and pitched 3.2 innings with five runs (four earned) on six hits in a no-decision.
Scoring Recap: With Gwinnett trailing 3-0 in the second inning, LaMarre brought in two runs with a two-out single to cut the deficit to 3-2. In the third, Alcides Escobar and Charlie Tilson both drove in runs to give the Knights a 5-2 edge. Raffy Lopez laced an RBI double in the fourth and scored on a single by LaMarre to make it 5-4. In the fifth, Travis Demeritte doubled to score two and Pedro Florimon followed with a two-run single to put the Stripers ahead 8-5. An RBI double by Ryan Cordell and run-scoring error trimmed the lead to 8-7 in the sixth, but LaMarre added insurance with an RBI double in the seventh to make it 9-7 Stripers. Nicky Delmonico (1) blasted a solo home run off Rafael De Paula in the eighth, but Elian Leyva (S, 1) came on to get the final four outs and preserve the 9-8 win.
Stripers Stats: Following an 85-pitch, 49-strike rehab start for Foltynewicz, Jordan Harrison (W, 1-0) pitched 1.1 innings and gave up two runs on two hits in his Stripers debut. De Paula (H, 1) struck out five and yielded a run on one hit over 2.2 innings. Leyva earned the first save of his affiliated baseball career with 1.1 scoreless innings. In addition to the big night for LaMarre, Lopez went 3-for-3 with a double and three runs, and Demeritte went 1-for-2 with three runs and two RBIs.
Postgame Notes: LaMarre's four RBIs tied his professional career high, last accomplished on August 29, 2018 for the Chicago White Sox at the New York Yankees. Adam Duvall went 1-for-4 to extend his team-best hitting streak to nine games. The Stripers moved a half-game ahead of Charlotte for first place in the International League South Division.
Quote: "Everything felt great, especially that last inning," Foltynewicz said. "The whole game didn't go as planned, but the last 80 pitches I felt as best as I have. We kept them off balance for a majority of the night."
Next Game (Tuesday, April 16): Gwinnett vs. Charlotte, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Bryse Wilson (0-2, 7.36 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Jordan Guerrero (0-1, 10.13 ERA) for the Knights. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2019
- LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Loses in Game One to Columbus, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens Fall to Indians in Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Score 10 in Win over Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Blue Jays Option Gurriel Jr. to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Rained out in Pawtucket Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (6-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-5) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (6-4) at Louisville Bats (5-6) - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings, Mets Postponed Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Ephesus Sports Lighting Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - IL
- Indiana Native: a Baseball Treasure - Indianapolis Indians
- De Los Santos Wins IL Pitcher of the Week Award - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020
- Stripers Announce Return of "Hook, 9 & Sinker" Packs for 2020
- Stripers Introduce New Batting Practice Cap, Updated Uniforms
- Stripers Launch New "Veterans Pack" for Veterans Day
- Stripers to Unveil Uniform Updates, New Batting Practice Cap on November 7