Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Gwinnett Stripers infielder Andres Blanco has been named the International League Player of the Week for April 8-14, the league announced Monday.
Blanco, who turned 35 on April 11, batted .476 (10-for-21) with two doubles, three home runs, six runs scored, 10 RBIs, and one stolen base in five games during the week. His hot stretch came after he opened the season 0-for-9 in his first three games in a Stripers uniform.
The Urama, Venezuela native is batting .333 (10-for-30) with two doubles, three home runs, six runs scored, 10 RBIs, and one stolen base in eight games with Gwinnett this season. He currently ranks in the IL top 10 in RBI (T-6th), OPS (8th, 1.144), home runs (T-8th), and slugging percentage (10th, .700).
Originally signed by Kansas City as a non-drafted free agent in 2000, Blanco has combined to bat .256 with 18 home runs and 109 RBIs in 536 Major League games with the Royals (2004-06), Chicago Cubs (2009), Texas Rangers (2010-11), and Philadelphia Phillies (2014-17). He has also logged 876 minor league games, batting .255 with 35 homers, 292 RBIs, and 77 stolen bases. The Atlanta Braves signed him as a minor league free agent on December 5, 2018.
Blanco is the 17th player in Gwinnett club history to win the IL Player of the Week award, and the first since Danny Santana on May 28, 2018. It is Blanco's first career Player of the Week award at any level of baseball.
Blanco is one of two Gwinnett players to win an IL weekly award this season. Mike Soroka was named IL Pitcher of the Week for April 4-7.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2019
- LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Loses in Game One to Columbus, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens Fall to Indians in Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Score 10 in Win over Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Blue Jays Option Gurriel Jr. to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Rained out in Pawtucket Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (6-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-5) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (6-4) at Louisville Bats (5-6) - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings, Mets Postponed Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Ephesus Sports Lighting Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - IL
- Indiana Native: a Baseball Treasure - Indianapolis Indians
- De Los Santos Wins IL Pitcher of the Week Award - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule