International League Names Players of the Week
April 15, 2019 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Gwinnett second baseman Andres Blanco and Lehigh Valley right-hander Enyel De Los Santos have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period covering April 8-14. In the season's second week, Gwinnett has already become the first team to capture a second weekly award, with Blanco following Mike Soroka, the previous IL Pitcher of the Week.
ANDRES BLANCO, Gwinnett Stripers IL BATTER OF THE WEEK Andres Blanco didn't collect a hit in any of his first three games this season, but since then he's been on fire. The veteran infielder has reeled off five consecutive games with a hit, including three contests with multiple hits to post an average for the week of .476. The highlight came Thursday at Louisville when Blanco went 4-for-4 and blasted a three-run homer in the process, and it just happened to be his 35th birthday. All ten of Blanco's hits and all ten of his RBI this season have come during his current five-game hitting streak, raising his average on the season to an impressive .333 thus far.
Andres Blanco is in his 18th season as a professional baseball player. He made his Major League debut in 2004 with the Royals and has also played for the Cubs, Rangers, and Phillies. He signed with Atlanta this past December as a free agent. Blanco is a native of Caracas, Venezuela.
ENYEL DE LOS SANTOS, Lehigh Valley IronPigs IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK Enyel De Los Santos took a no-hitter into the 6th inning on Friday as he led Lehigh Valley to a 3-0 victory over the Red Wings in Rochester. De Los Santos ultimately tossed 7.0 scoreless innings, allowing only a pair of hits while striking out nine and walking two. The victory was the second for De Los Santos in as many starts this season, and with 19 strikeouts he is tied atop the League leaderboard.
23-year-old Enyel De Los Santos is in his fifth season as a professional pitcher. He made both his Triple-A and Major League debuts in 2018. De Los Santos is a native of San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2019
- LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Loses in Game One to Columbus, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens Fall to Indians in Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Score 10 in Win over Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Blue Jays Option Gurriel Jr. to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Rained out in Pawtucket Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (6-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-5) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (6-4) at Louisville Bats (5-6) - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings, Mets Postponed Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Ephesus Sports Lighting Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - IL
- Indiana Native: a Baseball Treasure - Indianapolis Indians
- De Los Santos Wins IL Pitcher of the Week Award - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.