Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday
(LAWRENCEVILLE, GA) - Second baseman Ryan Goins recorded a team-high three hits, left fielder Nicky Delmonico connected on his first home run of the season, but the Charlotte Knights dropped the opening game of their four-game series to the Gwinnett Stripers by a score of 9-8 on Monday at Coolray Field in Lawrenceville, GA.
Offensively on Monday, the Knights once again put across a strong effort. The team combined on nine hits and eight runs, but fell just short to the Stripers, who recorded nine runs on nine hits. The Knights jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning, and even possessed a 5-4 lead after the first four innings, but the Stripers battled back for the game one victory.
Charlotte RHP Donny Roach (0-1, 12.46) allowed eight runs on seven hits over five innings of work and was saddled with the loss.
Delmonico launched the lone home run of the game for the Knights -- a solo shot in the top of the eighth inning. Center fielder Charlie Tilson, who reached base four times, chipped in with his fourth multi-hit game of the season. The 26-year-old went 2-for-4 with two doubles, one run scored, one RBI, and two walks. Goins went 3-for-5 with a double and a run scored.
Gwinnett LHP Jordan Harrison (1-0, 13.50) earned the win out of the bullpen on Monday despite allowing two runs over 1.1 innings pitched. RHP Elian Leyva recorded the final four outs to earn his first save of the season.
The Knights will continue their four-game road series against the Stripers (Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves) on Tuesday night. Pre-game radio coverage of Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action. LHP Jordan Guerrero is expected to get the start for the Knights.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2019
- LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Loses in Game One to Columbus, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens Fall to Indians in Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Score 10 in Win over Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Blue Jays Option Gurriel Jr. to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Rained out in Pawtucket Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (6-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-5) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (6-4) at Louisville Bats (5-6) - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings, Mets Postponed Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Ephesus Sports Lighting Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - IL
- Indiana Native: a Baseball Treasure - Indianapolis Indians
- De Los Santos Wins IL Pitcher of the Week Award - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Charlotte Knights Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Top Honor
- Matt Parrott Named IL Sports Turf Manager of the Year for Third Straight Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday