IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (8-3) woes up at PNC Field in Moosic continued even in a new season on Monday night. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (8-4) won 6-5 in 10 innings, as catcher Ryan Lavarnway hit a walk-off RBI single off James Pazos (0-1) to score Thairo Estrada.
The IronPigs were trailing 5-4 heading into the top of the ninth inning. They tied the game at 5-5 as Mitch Walding hit an RBI single off Stephen Tarpley to score Phil Gosselin.
IronPigs starting pitcher JoJo Romero struggled for his second-straight start. He allowed five runs in in four innings. The RailRiders scored four runs off him in the bottom of the second inning and a fifth run in the bottom of the third inning. Billy Fleming hit a grand slam while Ryan McBroom hit a solo home run in the third inning.
Lehigh Valley jumped out to a 4-0 lead off RailRiders starting pitcher Nester Cortes. Malquin Canelo and Phil Gosselin both hit RBI doubles in the inning off Cortes.
Austin Davis stretched his scoreless inning streak to 8.0 innings as he recorded three strikeouts in two innings of relief. Yacksel Rios also pitched two scoreless innings in relief. Cale Coshow (2-0) earned the win for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The IronPigs and RailRiders will play at PNC on Tuesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2019
- LaMarre Drives in Four, Leads Gwinnett Past Charlotte 9-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Loses in Game One to Columbus, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Stripers 9-8 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs lose in extras up in Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens Fall to Indians in Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Score 10 in Win over Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Blue Jays Option Gurriel Jr. to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Rained out in Pawtucket Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (6-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-5) - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (6-4) at Louisville Bats (5-6) - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings, Mets Postponed Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Ephesus Sports Lighting Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - IL
- Indiana Native: a Baseball Treasure - Indianapolis Indians
- De Los Santos Wins IL Pitcher of the Week Award - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Andres Blanco Named International League Player of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6