LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night
Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC), currently sitting third in the Group F standings, faces crosstown rival LA Galaxy in the Club's second group stage match of the MLS is Back Tournament on Saturday, July 18 at 7:30 p.m. PT on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and on radio on ESPN 710 and KFWB 980. Immediately after the match, LAFC fans can tune in to the live postgame show on YouTube TV & Estrella TV.
There were 126 days and a global pandemic in between LAFC's second and third match of the 2020 MLS season, as the Club opened the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament with a 3-3 draw against the Houston Dynamo on July 13. Forwards Bradley Wright-Phillips, Diego Rossi and Brian Rodriguez all found the back of the net for LAFC, with Wright-Phillips and Rodriguez each tallying their first in Black & Gold.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy started the MLS is Back Tournament with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of the Portland Timbers on Monday night. After an even half that included a missed Chicharito penalty kick in the 12th minute, Jeremy Ebobisse put the Timbers ahead in the 59th minute and Sebastian Blanco added insurance in the 66th minute. In the 75th minute, the Timbers' Dario Zuparic received his second yellow card and was sent off, and Chicharito was able to capitalize on the man down, adding his first MLS goal in the 88th minute for the Galaxy's lone goal on the night. The loss brought the club's total to one draw and two losses this MLS season.
The two crosstown rivals have met five times in regular season play and once in the MLS Cup Playoffs. While LAFC is still looking for its first league victory over the Galaxy (0-2-3 record), the Black & Gold finally notched its first win in the rivalry with a 5-3 triumph in the 2019 Western Conference Semifinals last year.
LAFC's final match of the round will take place on Thursday, July 23 at 7:30 p.m. PT against the Portland Timbers on ESPN 2/ESPN Deportes, ESPN 710 and KFWB 980.
The tournament will continue in the Knockout Stage presented by Audi with eight Round-of-16 matches, played as doubleheaders on four consecutive evenings (July 25-28), followed by four Quarterfinal matches (July 30-Aug 1), two Semifinal games (Aug. 5-6) and the MLS is Back Tournament Final on August 11 at 5:00 p.m. PT (ESPN/ESPN Deportes). The tournament champion will earn a spot in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park
- LAFC Travels to Face the Portland Timbers Tomorrow at Providence Park
- Banc Of California Stadium To Serve As Regional Voting Center Between October 30 - November 3
- LAFC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday at Providence Park