Rapids Fall Late
The Rapids took an early lead on Friday but couldn't hold on after two red cards brought the squad down to nine men in the second half. Jonathan Lewis equalized late, but a deflected stoppage-time shot from Graham Zusi sealed their fate.
Graham Zusi's deflected stoppage-time winner helped lift Sporting Kansas City to a 3-2 win over the nine-man Colorado Rapids in a wild Group D match Friday night.
It was a match that had a bit of everything with three Video Reviews, a pair of sending offs and 12 minutes of second-half stoppage time.
It was a role reversal of sorts for SKC, who were victimized by a Tim Melia red card and conceded twice late in a 2-1 loss to Minnesota United in their opener.
Zusi's winner erased Jonathan Lewis' dramatic 84th-minute equalizer for the Rapids, who led early on a sensational first-time strike by Kellyn Acosta.
Khiry Shelton scored his second goal of the tournament - third if you include his own goal equalizer against the Loons - in the 65th minute, a stunning first-time volley to level.
Alan Pulido gave Sporting its first lead from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute after Diego Rubio was ruled to have handled Zusi's cross following Video Review.
Moments later, Jack Price was sent off by referee David Gantar on a straight red card for dissent.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 24, 2020
- Homegrowns Cole Bassett, Sam Vines Leading the Way for Colorado
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch
- What Makes Midfielder Cole Bassett a Top Prospect and Which European Clubs Are Interested
- Rapids Announce Partnership with Ã¢ÂÂI Am a Voter' and Ã¢ÂÂRally the Vote'