Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has acquired a natural first round draft pick in the 2021 Major League Soccer SuperDraft from the Philadelphia Union, it was announced today. In exchange, the Lions have traded Homegrown Player rights to defender Nathan Harriel.
A native of Oldsmar, Fla., Harriel played for the Clearwater Chargers early on but ultimately decided to leave for the YSC Academy in Wayne, Penn., before becoming a member of the Union Academy and later signed to the Bethlehem Steel - the Union's USL Championship side - in 2019.
"We were in a unique situation with Nathan," Orlando City EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi said. "While having his homegrown territorial rights, we understand that particular circumstances made him join Philadelphia and are happy to come to a deal that offers us a valuable first round draft pick and allows us to continue investing in young players to build the future of our organization."
The Lions and Union will play each other in the final match of the MLS is Back Tournament group stage on Monday night, kicking off at 8 p.m. ET at ESPN Wide World of Sports. With a win or draw, Orlando will claim the top spot in Group A. That match will be aired on TUDN and @TUDNUSA on Twitter.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City SC receives a natural first round draft pick in the 2021 Major League Soccer SuperDraft from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for Homegrown Player rights to defender Nathan Harriel.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.