Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced that the club has signed defender Nathan Harriel to a Homegrown Player contract effective on January 1, 2021. Harriel will play with Philadelphia Union II on a USL Championship contract for the remainder of the 2020 season before joining the first team. The Union acquired the MLS Homegrown Player rights for Harriel from Orlando City SC in exchange for a 2021 MLS SuperDraft first round pick. This is the first professional contract for the 19-year-old defender from Oldsmar, Fla.
"Nate is a promising young player who has a lot of potential to thrive in our style of play," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "He can dominate wide areas with his speed and looks to play forward quickly after winning the ball. His versatility on the backline makes him a valuable asset to the team and we look forward to watching him develop as he continues to progress through our system."
Harriel joined the Union Academy system in 2018, where he made an immediate impact and within a season became a mainstay on the Union II defensive line. In 2019, the right back logged more than 1,800 minutes in 23 appearances.
Harriel is also making an impression with the United States Youth National team. He has been called up to U-18, U-19, U-20 and U-23 teams, earning six appearances across the four teams. In his most recent appearance with the U-20 team, he netted his first youth national goal in a 2-2 draw during a friendly against Mexico.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign defender Nathan Harriel to a Homegrown Player contract, effective January 1, 2021, on July 17, 2020. The Union traded a 2021 MLS SuperDraft first round pick to Orlando City SC in exchange for Harriel's Homegrown Player rights. Harriel will join Union II for the remainder of the 2020 USL Championship season.
Name: Nathan Harriel
Weight: 169 lb.
Hometown: Oldsmar, Fla.
Acquired: Philadelphia Union sign defender Nathan Harriel on July 17, 2020, who will immediately join Union II.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Union net three to earn three points on the road
- Union fall to Columbus Crew SC on the road
- Philadelphia Union Forward Kacper Przybylko Voted MLS Player of the Week