Jordyn Huitema Signs Professional Contract with French Club Paris Saint-Germain
VANCOUVER, BC - Jordyn Huitema, a four-year product of the Whitecaps FC Girls Elite Super REX program in partnership with BC Soccer, signed a professional contract with France's Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) on Friday.
"For me, Whitecaps FC opened up so many opportunities," said Huitema. "They brought me in at a young age and put in so much time and effort with my development and my teammates development. It was just a great environment for any young kid. Even now, the club still shows a lot of support even though I have moved into a different environment. I always know that when I'm back they'll always welcome me with open arms.".
Huitema becomes the first women's graduate of the Whitecaps BMO Academy System to sign a professional contract directly out of secondary school.
"Jordyn going and playing for PSG is a huge moment for her, an exciting moment," said Rhian Wilkinson, Whitecaps FC Girls Elite Super REX head coach. "It's a testament to her as a person. She is learning to be a professional player from a very young age. I'm excited to watch what she does for PSG, now and in the future."
Huitema signs with PSG after previously playing with the club as a guest player during the 2018 Women's International Champions Cup this past July. The native of Chilliwack, BC first joined the Whitecaps FC and BC Soccer REX program in January of 2015 after previously playing with Surrey United SC in the EA SPORTS BC Soccer Premier League (BCSPL). In 2017, she was named Whitecaps FC Most Promising Player.
On Saturday, Huitema will be a part of Canada's women's national team during their send-off match to the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France as they host Mexico in Toronto. Last year Huitema was awarded Canada Soccer's 2018 Youth International Player of the Year award, after being named U-17 Player of the Year in 2017 - a season in which she became the first player to score for Canada's U-17, U-20, and senior women's national teams in the same calendar year. This past fall she captained Canada to a fourth place finish at the 2018 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
For more information on the Whitecaps FC and BC Soccer Girls Elite Super REX program, visit whitecapsfc.com/rex.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2019
- Colorado Rapids Loan Defender Abdul Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Philadelphia Union - May 18, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Suspended Two Games - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Dynamo Host Rooney and East-Leading D.C. United on Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Hosts New England Revolution Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo & Dash to Celebrate Inclusivity & Unity with Soccer for All Month in June - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Signs Wilson Harris to Short-Term Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Jordyn Huitema Signs Professional Contract with French Club Paris Saint-Germain - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Preview: Sporting Begins Homestand Saturday vs. Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- David Accam to Provide Experience to New Nashville SC Side in MLS - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch Local #SoccerForAll Campaign - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Falls to Los Angeles FC 2-0 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Earns Third Straight Shutout, Defeats FC Dallas 2-0 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Join Forces with Doctors of BC to Support Message to #StayHome
- Whitecaps FC Statement on Extending the Suspension of MLS Matches
- Whitecaps FC Statement on COVID-19
- Ricketts goal lifts 'Caps to away victory over LA Galaxy
- Sporting Kansas City Takes Opener over Whitecaps