Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (3-6-3, 12 points) returns to Orlando City Stadium on Sunday as it hosts FC Cincinnati (3-7-2, 11 points) for its inaugural match against the 2019 MLS expansion side. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. ET.
The match will be locally televised on My65 and available on YouTube TV. It will also be broadcasted on FM 96.9 The Game in English and La Nueva 990 AM in Spanish.
"[Cincinnati] are a new team but all of the players are very experienced MLS players...They've made some good signings and they've got some good players so it will be a tough game for us," Orlando City Head Coach James O'Connor said. "We have to make sure our mentality stays strong, we don't feel sorry for ourselves and we just follow the process and make sure that we get the same level of performance against Cincinnati on Sunday [that we had against Seattle]."
The Lions face a quick turnaround after a 2-1 defeat in Seattle on Wednesday evening. Raúl Rudiáz opened the scoring for the Sounders in the 20th minute, with Handwalla Bwana doubling the lead in the 68th. Bwana's goal was sent to video review, but ultimately upheld in favor of the home side. Chris Mueller cut the deficit in half in the 75th, dribbling into space before ripping a shot with his left foot into the right corner of the net, but in the end the rally for the Lions came up just short, forcing them to return home empty-handed.
With his goal on Wednesday, Mueller is now tied with Dom Dwyer for second on the squad in goals scored this season, each with three. The two trail only Nani, who leads the team with five goals in 2019.
Cincinnati enters Sunday's contest following a 2-1 victory over the Montreal Impact last Saturday. Allan Cruz put the Orange and Blue up early in the 7th minute, with Fatai Alashe doubling the lead in the 62nd. Orji Okwonkwo pulled one back for the visiting Impact in the 75th, but the 2019 expansion side prevailed in the end for their first win following a five-game losing streak. Cruz leads Sunday's opposition with two goals this season.
Sunday's match will be the first of two between the two sides this season, with the Lions scheduled to visit Nippert Stadium for their last road contest of the 2019 regular-season campaign on September 29.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2019
- Colorado Rapids Loan Defender Abdul Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Philadelphia Union - May 18, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Suspended Two Games - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Dynamo Host Rooney and East-Leading D.C. United on Saturday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Impact Hosts New England Revolution Saturday at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Dynamo & Dash to Celebrate Inclusivity & Unity with Soccer for All Month in June - Houston Dynamo FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Signs Wilson Harris to Short-Term Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Jordyn Huitema Signs Professional Contract with French Club Paris Saint-Germain - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Preview: Sporting Begins Homestand Saturday vs. Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- David Accam to Provide Experience to New Nashville SC Side in MLS - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch Local #SoccerForAll Campaign - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Falls to Los Angeles FC 2-0 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Earns Third Straight Shutout, Defeats FC Dallas 2-0 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Ruan, Robin Jansson Score First MLS Goals as Lions Fall to Montréal
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal on Wednesday
- Lions Seven-Game Unbeaten Run Comes to an End with Loss at Atlanta
- Orlando City SC Loans David Loera to Phoenix Rising FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face Atlanta United FC on Friday