Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday when it travels to face New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena in a rematch of the 2018 Eastern Conference Final. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 5 p.m. EST and will be nationally televised on FS1. For all statistics and media information, please visit our new Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta United is riding a club record five-game win streak as well as the longest consecutive shutout win streak in MLS history. The team now has a shutout streak of 456 minutes and can break into the top 10 in league history after another 24 minutes. Brad Guzan can also crack the individual shutout streak top 10 list if he maintains the streak for at least 56 minutes. Despite having the most road wins in MLS since the start of 2017, Atlanta has never won at Red Bull Arena, posting a 0-1-1 record in league play. The two teams last met in the 2018 Eastern Conference Final where Atlanta advanced 3-1 on aggregate over two legs.
Atlanta defeated Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 Wednesday night at BC Place in the team's fourth match in 11 days. Forward Josef Martinez scored the game-winner and his team-high fifth goal of the season from the penalty spot in the first half after Gonzalo MartÃ-nez was taken down inside the box. Martinez has now scored 21 away goals, the most of any MLS player since Atlanta joined the league in 2017. Atlanta kept its fifth straight shutout and has conceded a league-low eight goals this season.
After a tough start to the season, New York has won three of its last four matches and currently sits ninth in the Eastern Conference Standings. Red Bulls are coming off a 3-1 win at FC Dallas on May 11 in a game in which head coach Chris Armas changed 10 of the 11 starters from the previous match. Cristian Casseres, Sean Nealis and Brian White added goals for New York against Dallas, while nine different goal scorers have tallied the team's last 10 goals.
Sunday, May 19 | Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ |5 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (6-3-2, 20 points) vs. New York Red Bulls (4-5-2, 14 points)
English TV | FS1
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
4 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
4:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2019
- Colorado Rapids Loan Defender Abdul Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Philadelphia Union - May 18, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Suspended Two Games - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Returns Home to Host FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Dynamo Host Rooney and East-Leading D.C. United on Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Hosts New England Revolution Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo & Dash to Celebrate Inclusivity & Unity with Soccer for All Month in June - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Signs Wilson Harris to Short-Term Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Jordyn Huitema Signs Professional Contract with French Club Paris Saint-Germain - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Preview: Sporting Begins Homestand Saturday vs. Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- David Accam to Provide Experience to New Nashville SC Side in MLS - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch Local #SoccerForAll Campaign - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Falls to Los Angeles FC 2-0 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Earns Third Straight Shutout, Defeats FC Dallas 2-0 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC