Jones Named Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month
SPRINGFIELD, MA - The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, and the American Hockey League announced today that Monarchs goaltender Martin Jones has been named the Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month for December. Jones made nine appearances on the month and went 7-1-0 with a 1.99 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage to help the Monarchs maintain first place in the Atlantic Division.
Jones's month was highlighted by his performance vs. Worcester on Dec. 10, when he stopped 45 of 46 shots in a 4-1 victory; his 22 saves over the final 20 minutes tied an AHL high for third-period saves this season. Even in his only loss of the month - a 4-2 setback to Portland on Dec. 12 - Jones recorded 39 saves, and he rebounded with 36 stops in a 2-1 overtime win at Portland on Dec. 18 to begin a five-game winning streak that would carry into the new year.
In recognition of his achievement, Jones will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Monarchs home game.
Jones, a 20-year-old native of North Vancouver, B.C., currently ranks second in the AHL in goals-against average (1.60) and save percentage (.948) while posting a 13-2-0 record and two shutouts in 18 games for Manchester. He was the Western Hockey League's goaltender of the year in 2009-10 and was named the top goaltender at the 2010 Memorial Cup tournament, where he led Calgary to the championship game. Jones also won a silver medal with Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championships. Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles on Oct. 2, 2008, Jones was 108-28-9 over four junior seasons with Calgary.
Other nominees for Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month include Abbotsford right wing Greg Nemisz, Binghamton left wing Colin Greening, Bridgeport right wing Rhett Rakhshani, Chicago center Ryan Garbutt, Connecticut right wing Mats Zuccarello, Grand Rapids defenseman Brendan Smith, Hamilton defenseman Brendon Nash, Manitoba goaltender Eddie Lack, Peoria center Phil McRae, Portland right wing Corey Tropp, Rochester center Scott Timmins, Rockford left wing Peter LeBlanc, San Antonio defenseman Michael Stone, Springfield left wing Matt Calvert, Texas right wing Sean Backman and Worcester defenseman Matt Irwin.
The Monarchs continue their nine-game road trip with a 7:05 p.m. contest against with Providence Bruins at the Dunkin' Donuts Center on Friday, January 7. Catch all of the play-by-play action of Monarchs hockey with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGAM 900/1250 AM and at www.manchestermonarchs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2011
- Admirals to Send Two Fans to Philly for Big Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Skate with the Aeros at Discovery Green this Wednesday - Houston Aeros
- Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Liam Reddox and Linus Omark Recalled by Edmonton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rangers Assign Michael Del Zotto to Whale, Recall Ryan McDonagh - Connecticut Whale
- Week Thirteen: Smith Shines - Syracuse Crunch
- New Year's Resolutions - Manitoba Moose
- Jones Named Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Quintin Laing Named Heat Team Captain. - Abbotsford Heat
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Center Nick Bonino - Syracuse Crunch
- David Desharnais Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Lack Named Reebok/AHL Goalie of Month - Manitoba Moose
- Trinity-Wesleyan Men's Matchup - Connecticut Whale
- Desharnais, Jones, Lack Named AHL Monthly Award Winners for December - AHL
- Adirondack Finishes 4-1 Week and on a 3-Game Winning Streak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Worcester Sharks Ring in the New Year in Dramatic Fashion - Worcester Sharks
- Defenseman Erik Gustafsson Returned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stewart Wins AHL Player of Week Honor - Adirondack Phantoms
- Barons Weekly Report - Oklahoma City Barons
- Adirondack's Brian Stewart Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Nestle Candy Display at Fayetteville Tops Friendly Markets - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Mikkel Boedker to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Gordie Roberts Added to Player Roster for Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Reassign Nyren and Carpentier - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Reassign Janus to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Three Game Road Trip Starts Friday In Winnipeg - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Announce Time Change For Sunday's Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Change Sunday Game Time to 1 Pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.