David Desharnais Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -The American Hockey League announced today that Hamilton Bulldogs centre David Desharnais has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Month for December. Desharnais led all AHL scorers with 17 assists and 20 points in 14 games for the North Division-leading Bulldogs. He is the second straight Hamilton player to earn the award as Max Pacioretty was named Reebok / AHL Player of the Month for November.
Desharnais found the scoresheet in 12 of his 14 games played in December and was leading the AHL in scoring at the time of his recall to Montreal on December 31. He had a pair of assists in a 3-2 shootout win over Abbotsford on December 1 and dished out five more helpers in four games from Dec. 4-12. Desharnais then recorded a point in seven straight games (3 goals, 10 assists) to finish the month, including a four-point night on December 21 at Houston that saw him score two shorthanded goals and a three-assist effort in a 3-2 win vs. Lake Erie on December 30.
In recognition of his achievement, Desharnais will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Bulldogs home game.
Desharnais is currently tied for first in the AHL with assists and ranks second with 45 points in 35 games played for Hamilton. He is also third in the league with 21 power-play points and sports a plus-14 rating overall. The fourth-year pro from Quebec City shared fourth in the AHL scoring race with 78 points in 60 games in 2009-10 and now shows 62 goals and 122 assists for 184 points in 183 career AHL games with Hamilton and Bridgeport. Desharnais, 24, signed as a free agent with Montreal on November 5, 2008 and has appeared in seven career NHL games with the Canadiens, including one this season.
Other nominees for Reebok/AHL Player of the Month include Abbotsford goaltender Leland Irving, Binghamton center Corey Locke, Bridgeport center Jeremy Colliton, Charlotte right wing Jerome Samson, Chicago right wing Spencer Machacek, Connecticut centre Kris Newbury, Grand Rapids left wing Tomas Tatar, Houston left wing Robbie Earl, Lake Erie center Patrick Rissmiller, Manchester center Oscar Moller, Manitoba goaltender Eddie Lack, Peoria centre T.J. Hensick, Portland center Paul Byron, Rochester right wing Michal Repik, Rockford center Jeff Taffe, San Antonio right wing Petr Prucha, Springfield left wing Matt Calvert, Texas center Travis Morin, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defenseman Corey Potter and Worcester right wing Jonathan Cheechoo.
Hamilton will return to the ice on Wednesday, January 5th when they travel to Grand Rapids to battle the Griffins for a 7:00 p.m. game. All regular season Hamilton Bulldogs broadcasts on AM 820 CHAM will begin with a pre-game show 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
Tickets for all Hamilton Bulldogs home games (with the exception of the February 25th game at Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec) are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca or through charge-by-phone at 1-855-872-5000. For more information on 'Dogs season tickets, flex packs, mini packs and group tickets call 905-529-8500 ext. 179 or visit www.hamiltonbulldogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2011
- Admirals to Send Two Fans to Philly for Big Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Skate with the Aeros at Discovery Green this Wednesday - Houston Aeros
- Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Liam Reddox and Linus Omark Recalled by Edmonton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rangers Assign Michael Del Zotto to Whale, Recall Ryan McDonagh - Connecticut Whale
- Week Thirteen: Smith Shines - Syracuse Crunch
- New Year's Resolutions - Manitoba Moose
- Jones Named Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Quintin Laing Named Heat Team Captain. - Abbotsford Heat
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Center Nick Bonino - Syracuse Crunch
- David Desharnais Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Lack Named Reebok/AHL Goalie of Month - Manitoba Moose
- Trinity-Wesleyan Men's Matchup - Connecticut Whale
- Desharnais, Jones, Lack Named AHL Monthly Award Winners for December - AHL
- Adirondack Finishes 4-1 Week and on a 3-Game Winning Streak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Worcester Sharks Ring in the New Year in Dramatic Fashion - Worcester Sharks
- Defenseman Erik Gustafsson Returned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stewart Wins AHL Player of Week Honor - Adirondack Phantoms
- Barons Weekly Report - Oklahoma City Barons
- Adirondack's Brian Stewart Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Nestle Candy Display at Fayetteville Tops Friendly Markets - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Mikkel Boedker to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Gordie Roberts Added to Player Roster for Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Reassign Nyren and Carpentier - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Reassign Janus to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Three Game Road Trip Starts Friday In Winnipeg - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Announce Time Change For Sunday's Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Change Sunday Game Time to 1 Pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.