Adirondack's Brian Stewart Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week
January 3, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Adirondack Phantoms goaltender Brian Stewart has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Jan. 2, 2011. Stewart made four appearances and went 3-0-0 for the Phantoms, stopping 93 of 98 shots for a 1.34 goals-against average and a .949 save percentage.
Stewart began his week with a perfect relief outing on Wednesday, stopping all 16 shots in 33 minutes of work vs. Manchester. He then got the call in all three of Adirondack's weekend games, beginning Friday when he made 27 saves through regulation and overtime before stopping all four shootout attempts to preserve a 3-2 victory over Springfield, his first AHL win of the season. Stewart stopped 18 of 19 shots on Saturday in a 2-1 decision over Albany, and he made 32 saves in Sunday's 3-2 shootout win at Rochester as the Phantoms put together their first three-game winning streak since January 2010.
In recognition of his achievement, Stewart will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Phantoms home game.
Stewart, a rookie from Burnaby, B.C., is now 3-5-0 (3.22, .886) in nine games for Adirondack in 2010-11. Stewart signed with the Philadelphia Flyers as a free agent on Apr. 19, 2010, after four seasons at Northern Michigan University, where he went 18-11-7 as a senior last year.
Other nominees for Reebok/AHL Player of the Week include Abbotsford goaltender Leland Irving, Albany center Michael Swift, Bridgeport left wing Micheal Haley, Charlotte goaltender Justin Pogge, Chicago defenseman Paul Postma, Connecticut defenseman Wade Redden, Hamilton center Dustin Boyd, Hershey goaltender Braden Holtby, Houston center Cody Almond, Lake Erie right wing Matthew Ford, Manchester goaltender Martin Jones, Manitoba defenseman Mark Flood, Milwaukee left wing Ryan Thang, Peoria goaltender Jake Allen, Portland center Paul Byron, Rochester defenseman Clay Wilson, Rockford goaltender Hannu Toivonen, San Antonio right wing Matt Watkins, Syracuse center Trevor Smith, Texas left wing Fabian Brunnstrom, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton right wing Nick Johnson and Worcester defenseman Matt Irwin.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2011
- Admirals to Send Two Fans to Philly for Big Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Skate with the Aeros at Discovery Green this Wednesday - Houston Aeros
- Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Liam Reddox and Linus Omark Recalled by Edmonton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rangers Assign Michael Del Zotto to Whale, Recall Ryan McDonagh - Connecticut Whale
- Week Thirteen: Smith Shines - Syracuse Crunch
- New Year's Resolutions - Manitoba Moose
- Jones Named Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Quintin Laing Named Heat Team Captain. - Abbotsford Heat
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Center Nick Bonino - Syracuse Crunch
- David Desharnais Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Lack Named Reebok/AHL Goalie of Month - Manitoba Moose
- Trinity-Wesleyan Men's Matchup - Connecticut Whale
- Desharnais, Jones, Lack Named AHL Monthly Award Winners for December - AHL
- Adirondack Finishes 4-1 Week and on a 3-Game Winning Streak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Worcester Sharks Ring in the New Year in Dramatic Fashion - Worcester Sharks
- Defenseman Erik Gustafsson Returned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stewart Wins AHL Player of Week Honor - Adirondack Phantoms
- Barons Weekly Report - Oklahoma City Barons
- Adirondack's Brian Stewart Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Nestle Candy Display at Fayetteville Tops Friendly Markets - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Mikkel Boedker to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Gordie Roberts Added to Player Roster for Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Reassign Nyren and Carpentier - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Reassign Janus to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Three Game Road Trip Starts Friday In Winnipeg - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Announce Time Change For Sunday's Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Change Sunday Game Time to 1 Pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.