Gordie Roberts Added to Player Roster for Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game
Hartford, CT ... Whalers Sports and Entertainment announced today that former New England and Hartford Whaler defenseman Gordie Roberts will join the roster of featured players for the Hartford Whalers legends vs. Boston Bruins legends game February 19, 2011 at Rentschler Field in East Hartford.
The legends game comprises part of the "Harvest-Properties.com Whale Bowl," the featured event of the two-week outdoor Whalers Hockey Fest spectacular at Rentschler Field that will include numerous collegiate, high school, prep school and youth hockey games. The legends game will face off at 4:00 PM on February 19 and will be followed by the outdoor AHL game between the Connecticut Whale and the Providence Bruins at 7:00 PM.
Roberts, a native of Detroit, joined the New England Whalers from the WCHL's Victoria Cougars as an 18-year-old for the 1975-76 World Hockey Association season, and remained with the Whalers for the rest of their WHA tenure. In 311 WHA games, Roberts scored 42 goals and added 144 assists for 186 points, and those totals were good for fifth in franchise history (and second among defensemen) in assists and sixth (third among blueliners) in points. Also, Roberts' 502 career penalty minutes ranked third all-time in Whaler WHA franchise annals.
Roberts made the move to the NHL with the Hartford Whalers in 1979 and played the 1979-80 season, and 27 games of the 1980-81 campaign, in a Whaler uniform before being traded to the Minnesota North Stars December 16, 1980. Roberts' NHL totals with the Whalers included 10 goals and 39 assists for 49 points, along with 170 PIM, in 107 games.
Roberts spent eight seasons with Minnesota, and would go on to further NHL action with Philadelphia, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Boston, and won a pair of Stanley Cups with the Penguins, in 1991 and 1992. By the end of his final NHL season, 1993-94, which saw him play 59 games for the Bruins, Roberts had totaled 1,097 NHL games, with 61 goals, 359 assists, 420 points and 1,582 penalty minutes to his credit.
Tickets for the February 19 Harvest-Properties.com Whale Bowl, which include admission to both the AHL game and the legends game, are on sale now at Ticketmaster.com. Ticket prices range from $20 to $85 and can be purchased online via Ticketmaster or by calling the Connecticut Whale at 860-728-3366. Tickets purchased online can be printed immediately (via Ticketmaster).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2011
- Admirals to Send Two Fans to Philly for Big Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Skate with the Aeros at Discovery Green this Wednesday - Houston Aeros
- Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Liam Reddox and Linus Omark Recalled by Edmonton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rangers Assign Michael Del Zotto to Whale, Recall Ryan McDonagh - Connecticut Whale
- Week Thirteen: Smith Shines - Syracuse Crunch
- New Year's Resolutions - Manitoba Moose
- Jones Named Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Quintin Laing Named Heat Team Captain. - Abbotsford Heat
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Center Nick Bonino - Syracuse Crunch
- David Desharnais Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Lack Named Reebok/AHL Goalie of Month - Manitoba Moose
- Trinity-Wesleyan Men's Matchup - Connecticut Whale
- Desharnais, Jones, Lack Named AHL Monthly Award Winners for December - AHL
- Adirondack Finishes 4-1 Week and on a 3-Game Winning Streak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Worcester Sharks Ring in the New Year in Dramatic Fashion - Worcester Sharks
- Defenseman Erik Gustafsson Returned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stewart Wins AHL Player of Week Honor - Adirondack Phantoms
- Barons Weekly Report - Oklahoma City Barons
- Adirondack's Brian Stewart Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Nestle Candy Display at Fayetteville Tops Friendly Markets - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Mikkel Boedker to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Gordie Roberts Added to Player Roster for Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Reassign Nyren and Carpentier - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Reassign Janus to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Three Game Road Trip Starts Friday In Winnipeg - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Announce Time Change For Sunday's Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Change Sunday Game Time to 1 Pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.