IronPigs early lead couldn't hold in Pawtucket
(Pawtucket, RI) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (28-27) early lead on Tuesday morning couldn't hold as the Pawtucket Red Sox (25-31) rallied from a 4-1 deficit to win 7-5.
Gorkys Hernandez put the PawSox on the scoreboard in the bottom of the first inning. He hit a solo home run off Ranger Suarez to give Pawtucket a 1-0 lead. The home run for Hernandez was his sixth of the season.
Gift Ngoepe tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the third inning. He hit a solo home run off Brian Johnson. The home run for Ngoepe was his fifth of the season. Ngoepe put the IronPigs ahead by a score of 3-1 in the top of the fourth inning as he hit at two-run double off Kyle Hart (2-0) that scored Ali Castillo and Matt McBride.
McBride gave Lehigh Valley insurance in the top of the sixth inning as he hit a sacrifice fly off Hart to extend the lead to 4-1. The run was crucial because the PawSox scored two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to cut the Pigs lead to 4-3. Hernandez homered again off Suarez that was followed by an RBI double from Rusney Castillo that scored Josh Ockimey.
Suarez pitched six innings as he allowed three runs off six hits and two walks with three strikeouts. Alexis Rivero (0-1) entered the game in the bottom of the seventh inning to pitch in relief of Suarez.
Josh Tobias hit an RBI double off Rivero that allowed Cole Sturgeon to score to tie the game at 4-4. Rivero left the game after recording two outs as Tom Windle then came in to pitch in relief. He gave up a three-run home run to Chad De La Guerra that gave Pawtucket a 7-4 lead.
The Pigs scored a run in the top of the eighth inning to trip the PawSox lead to 7-5. Deivy Grullon scored on an RBI groundout by Castillo. Hart finished out the game by pitching six innings in relief of Johnson to earn the win.
Lehigh Valley and Pawtucket will continue their series at Coca-Cola Park over the next two days. First pitch on Wednesday evening is at 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 4, 2019
- Charlotte Holds off Gwinnett, 7-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Lowe's Walk-Off Home Run Completes Bulls Comeback - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Hit Five Home Runs to Beat Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Hold On, Top Stripers 7-6 - Charlotte Knights
- McKinney's Slam Lifts Bisons to 5-4 Win over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Kang's Four-Hit Night Not Enough in 7-6 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Tops Indianapolis, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Trio of homers not enough for RailRiders as Buffalo uses big 3rd inning for victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Pound Mets, 9-3, Tuesday Afternoon - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Fall to Red Wings, 9-3, on Tuesday - Syracuse Mets
- Hernandez, De La Guerra Lift PawSox to Fourth-Straight Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-22) at Louisville Bats (23-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (32-22) at Louisville Bats (23-34) - Louisville Bats
- IronPigs early lead couldn't hold in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rally in Ninth, Prevail 7-6 in 10 Innings - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Falls to Indianapolis in Extras, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Top Wings in 10 Innings Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Last Week Around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced