Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win
QUEBEC, P.Q., Que. -- Stephen Holdren spanked a go-ahead grand slam in the seventh and P.J. Zocchi slammed the door shut in the ninth for his record-setting 23rd save as the Saltdogs (40-57) topped the Quebec Capitales (64-33) 6-5 at Stade Municipal Friday night.
With the 'Dogs trailing 5-2 in the top of the seventh, Jimmy Rohan walked to load the bases. Holdren then fell behind in the count 1-2 before clubbing his second grand slam of the season, an impressive drive to right to push Lincoln in front.
Conor Spink (W, 1-1) and Pete Parise combined for 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to bridge the gap to Zocchi.
After Rene Leveret singled to begin the bottom of the ninth, Matt Forgatch made a brilliant head-first diving catch on a Josue Peley line drive and then doubled off the runner from first.
Forgatch also went 3-for-4 at the plate with two doubles, a triple, a walk, two runs and a stolen base.
Zocchi surpassed Chris Weidert's previous club record of 22 saves from the 2001 campaign.
The Saltdogs are back at it Saturday night at 6 p.m. to open a three-game road series against Rockland Boulders. Radio coverage begins at 5:30 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.