AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs scored eight runs in a 13-batter second inning to take control of the game and finished off a series win with a 12-1 thrashing of the Sioux Falls Pheasants at QuikTrip Park on Thursday night.
Coupled with Laredo's 2-1 loss to Fargo-Moorhead on Thursday, Grand Prairie (50-47) cut their deficit to a game and a half behind the Lemurs (51-45). Grand Prairie has three games remaining (against Amarillo at home) while Laredo has four (one in Fargo on Friday and three in Gary against the Railcats).
Brian Myrow had a big 3-for-3 game with two walks, bringing in the first run of the game in the bottom of the first on an RBI triple. He scored on Andres Rodriguez's groundout to short, before Grand Prairie broke the game open an inning later.
Two errors by the Pheasants (43-53) started the bottom of the second, before Scott Clement, Keanon Simon, Frichter, Myrow and Rodriguez had consecutive run-scoring hits. After Trent Lockwood grounded out, John Alonso hit an RBI single to knock out Sioux Falls starter Barry Fowler (1-3).
Hits by Jonny Kaplan and another from Clement (his second RBI single of the inning) gave the AirHogs their eighth run of the inning, and the game settled down from there.
AirHogs starter John Brownell (8-7) cruised through seven innings, allowing four hits, one walk and only one unearned run while striking out five.
Jakob Cunningham and Ray Silva each pitched a shutout inning in relief, as the AirHogs got their final two runs in the seventh on hits by Myrow and Alonso.
Notes: Myrow's four RBIs is his season high.All nine AirHogs reached base safely at least once, eight had at least one hit, six had at least two and Myrow and Alonso each had three.Brownell's win was his first since July 4. He had gone 0-6 with a 4.76 ERA in his last 10 starts while going at least six innings in all of them.Thomas Heithoff threw 90 pitches in 4 2/3 shutout innings in relief of Fowler.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude the regular season with a key three-game series against the Amarillo Sox, starting Saturday, August 31, at 7:05 p.m. It is Fireworks Saturday Night, with a postgame fireworks spectacular. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs