Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One
Peter Barrows beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes almost by himself.
On Friday night at Shaw Park, the Sioux City Explorers leftfielder hit a three-run homer and two solo shots and drove in every X's run as Sioux City beat the Goldeyes 5-2.
The loss left the Goldeyes with a record of 54-43. Winnipeg has lost three straight, but are still three games ahead of the St. Paul Saints in the wild card race with three games remaining after St. Paul lost to the Gary SouthShore RailCats 7-4. The Goldeyes magic number is down to just one, meaning one Goldeyes win or one Saints loss would give the Goldeyes the wild card spot.
The Goldeyes simply couldn't get Barrows out very often in this four-game series against Sioux City. The tall, lanky leftfielder went nine-for-18 with three homers, nine runs batted in and seven runs scored.
"We had no answer for Peter Barrows," said Goldeyes manager Rick Forney. "He hit a fastball from Sal (starter Chris Salamida), a breaking ball from Sal and a breaking ball from Brian (reliever Beuning). We just had no answer for that guy for the last three games. You have to tip your cap to him. He had an unbelievable series. We just couldn't get him out."
Barrows hit a three run blast in the third on Friday to give Sioux City at 3-0 lead. In the sixth he hit a solo homer to make the score 4-2 and then hit another solo job in the eighth to make it 5-2.
As for the Goldeyes, they scored a run in the third on a double by Kyle Day, a single by Amos Ramon and then Day came home when Price Kendall hit into a double play.
Winnipeg got as close as 3-2 when Kyle Day hit a solo homer in the fifth, but that was it for the Fish. For a team in a playoff race, it's hard to understand why they have simply stopped hitting. After getting only seven scattered hits in a 10-1 loss on Thursday, they managed only two runs on six hits on Friday night. Barbaro Canizares, who came into the series hitting .500 in his first eight games with the Goldeyes, was 0-for-four on Friday and two-for-15 in the series.
"We have too many guys in the order who are scuffling around," Forney said. "We're going to have to change our approach here. We hit into eight double plays this week and that just kills any momentum you get going. As a group, we need better at bats and a better approach at the plate."
Salamida (5-7, ERA) suffered the loss for Winnipeg despite allowing only four runs on seven hits. Sioux City starter Jason Jarvis (8-8, ERA) got the win.
The Goldeyes will open a three-game series against their archrivals, the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks, to finish the 2012 season Saturday night at Shaw Park. Matt Rusch (9-4, 2.46 ERA) will get the start for Winnipeg.
"We need Matt to give us one of his big games," said Forney.
Game time is 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard live on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds calling the play-by-play.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Trade Two
- Goldeyes Make Two Transactions
- All-Stars Lambson and Capellan Extend Their Seasons
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher