Better Late Than Never
AMARILLO, TX - The Amarillo Sox capped off their 2012 home schedule with a three-run ninth and a come-from-behind 4-3 walkoff win against the Kansas City T-Bones on Friday night at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium.
Sox reliever Wes Littleton (5-3) got the win, despite allowing a ninth inning run. T-Bones closer Griffin Bailey (0-3) got the loss, allowing three runs in the ninth.
The T-Bones took a first inning lead on an RBI double from Ray Sadler, but the Sox quickly responded as Garrett Rau walked to lead off the inning. Following a Tim Alberts single to put Rau at third, Jonathan Cisneros hit a slow grounder to first and beat the double play to allow Rau to score and tie the game.
Both starting pitchers took care of the lineups until the seventh inning. Kansas City's Kris Sanchez led off with a double, took third on a groundout and scored on an Adam De La Garza sacrifice fly for a 2-1 lead.
In the ninth, the T-Bones added to the lead on an RBI single from De La Garza for a two-run lead.
The Sox put the pressure on in the bottom of the ninth. Danny Gallinot and Ryan Mitchell led off with singles, while Rau bunted on base to load the bases. Adam Buschini followed with a two-RBI double to score Gallinot and Mitchell for a tie game. Following an intentional walk to load the bases, Cisneros grounded to the shortstop to force out Rau at home. Attempting the double play, catcher Pat Trettel missed the first baseman to score Buschini from second for a 4-3 walkoff win.
With the win, the Sox improve to 46-51 while the T-Bones fall to 49-48. Saturday, Amarillo will travel to Grand Prairie to take on the Airhogs for the opening game of a three-game set at 7:05pm. Game time is tentative and is subject to blackout.
Individual and season tickets are available for purchase in-person by visiting the Sox Front Offices at 801 S. Polk or over the phone by calling (806) 242-4653. For more information on tickets, game times and schedules, promotions, marketing opportunities, and everything else Sox, visit the "Official Website of the Amarillo Sox" at www.amarillosox.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.