Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks
FARGO, ND - The only Field Manager the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks have ever employed will be in the dugout for at least another three seasons.
Doug Simunic has signed a new three-year contract with the RedHawks that will take him through the 2015 season, the franchise's 20th campaign. There is also a two-year club option that could carry the new contract through the 2017 season.
Simunic has built the RedHawks into a dynasty in his first 17 seasons at the helm. Including this season, Fargo-Moorhead has reached the post-season 15 times and claimed five Northern League Championships before shifting to the American Association prior to last season.
This year, Simunic has led Fargo-Moorhead to a league-best 63-33 record with four games to play. It's the 7th time in franchise history a Simunic-led RedHawks team has reached the 60-win plateau.
Entering tonight's game, Simunic has fashioned a 1,084-709 record (.605 winning percentage) in 20 seasons in Independent Baseball. Simunic began his managing career in 1993 as the skipper of the Rochester (MN) Aces of the Northern League. He managed the Winnipeg Goldeyes in 1994 and 1995, leading Winnipeg to a title in his first season there. He was hired as manager of the expansion RedHawks prior to the 1996 season and has ruled the roost at Newman Outdoor Field ever since.
"Good work deserves to be rewarded," said RedHawks President and Owner Bruce Thom. "Doug has done a fabulous job for 17 years, and we are happy we could get a new contract in place."
"I am very happy to continue as part of this organization moving forward," said Simunic. "I love the Fargo-Moorhead area, the fans, and being part of a first-class organization. I couldn't think of another organization in this league I would want to work for."
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- F-M RedHawks Reveal 25th Season Commemorative Logo
- RedHawks Announce 2020 Regular Season Schedule
- RedHawks Win 4-3 in Game Two of NDCS; One Game Away from Series Win
- Jim Bennett Named 2019 American Association Manager of the Year
- RedHawks Take Game One of NDCS with 3-2 Victory over Saints