Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox
AMARILLO, Texas - The Amarillo Sox scored three runs on four hits in the bottom of the ninth, eventually scoring the winning run on a throwing error by Pat Trettel, as they erased a 3-1 deficit and defeated Kansas City, 4-3, in the series finale at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium on Friday night.
Devin Anderson (7-6) started for Kansas City and came away with a no-decision despite going six innings and giving up only one run.
With Kansas City leading 2-1 in the top of the ninth, the T-Bones added an insurance run on an RBI single by Adam De La Garza, scoring Kris Sanchez from second. Sanchez went two for four with two doubles and two runs scored.
In the bottom of the ninth, Amarillo loaded the bases with no outs against closer Griffin Bailey (3-6) before Adam Buschini's two-run double off the glove of T-Bones third baseman Spiker Helms tied the game at 3-3. The T-Bones then intentionally walked Tim Alberts in order to face Jonathan Cisneros. Cisneros hit a ground ball to Devin Goodwin at shortstop, and he fired to Trettel at the plate for a force out. Garrett Rau slid into Trettel while Trettel was throwing to first for a double play. Instead, the ball flew into right field, scoring Buschini and giving Amarillo the walk-off win.
The loss drops Kansas City to 49-48 on the year. The T-Bones now travel to Sioux City and begin their season-ending three-game series versus the Explorers at Lewis and Clark Park on Saturday night, with the first pitch slated for 7:05. The game can be heard on 1660-AM (the KMBZ Business Channel) or online at www.tbonesbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.