Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year
FARGO, ND - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks CF Nic Jackson has been named the American Association Player of the Year, the league office announced today. The award is voted on by the league's field managers and media representatives.
Jackson enters tonight's game batting .306 with 25 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs, 84 RBI and 74 runs scored in 95 games. He has stolen 19 bases and committed just two errors in 222 total chances in 92 games in centerfield while leading the RedHawks to a league-best 63-33 record and a North Division Championship.
Jackson currently ranks second in the American Association RBI, third in total bases (198), tied for fifth in runs scored and extra-base hits and sixth in home runs. He was honored as the Pointstreak American Association Player of the Week for July 23-29.
The 6-3, 200-pounder is a 13-year veteran of professional baseball and former third round draft pick (76th pick overall) of the Chicago Cubs in the 2000 Amateur Draft out of the University of Richmond (VA). In 1011 career games, Jackson has batted .293 with 245 doubles, 39 triples, 120 home runs, 654 RBI and 651 runs scored. He spent parts of two seasons at Triple-A and three years at Double-A.
It is the second time in his RedHawks career that Jackson has earned Player of the Year honors. He was named the Northern League Player of the Year in 2009 after batting .310 with 26 doubles, 17 home runs, 97 RBI and 76 runs scored in 95 games.
"Nic has had a tremendous year," said RedHawks Manager Doug Simunic. "He has been solid all season long, from when we were struggling early through now. Nic is a great all-around player and this award is well-deserved."
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Win 4-3 in Game Two of NDCS; One Game Away from Series Win
- Jim Bennett Named 2019 American Association Manager of the Year
- RedHawks Take Game One of NDCS with 3-2 Victory over Saints
- RedHawks Yhoxian Medina Named 2019 American Association Defensive Player of the Year
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints