Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss
EL PASO, Texas. - El Paso's Cohen Stadium carries a reputation as a hitter's ballpark, but the Sioux Falls Pheasants might have a different opinion.
El Paso's Scott Hodsdon (9-2) held the Pheasants to just four hits and one run, tossing a complete game in a 13-1 defeat of Sioux Falls. Hodsdon threw his fourth complete game and remained undefeated (8-0) at home this season.
Cohen Stadium lived up to its reputation for the El Paso Diablos, who pounded 19 hits - nine for extra bases - in the four-game series opener. Every Diablos hitter had at least one hit, and all but two had multiple hits. Maikol Gonzalez led the way, going 4-for-5 with three RBI.
Mitch Einertson opened the scoring in a three-run first inning with an RBI double, and El Paso never trailed. El Paso added two runs in the fourth inning and then unloaded for eight runs in the eighth inning.
Pheasants starter Mitchell Clegg (9-6) lost his bid to be the only 10-game winner on the Pheasants' staff this year. He gave up five runs and 11 hits in seven innings for his final start of the year.
The Pheasants' only run came in the seventh inning. Cesar Nicolas' league-leading 34th double drove home Reggie Abercrombie.
Game two of the four-game series - the final of the year - is at 8:05 p.m. on Saturday, September 1. The contest will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM KWSN and www.kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Pheasants Falter in Lopsided Loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Massaro Reaches 500 Hits; 'Cats Rally to Beat Saints 7-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Fall to Laredo 8-2 in Home Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Playoff Chances Nearly Done in 7-4 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon's Fourth Complete Game Opens Diablos Final Series Of 2012 - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Dumped by Explorers Again, But Magic Number Down to Just One - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Back on the Winning Track - Laredo Lemurs
- Ninth Inning Meltdown Gives T-Bones Loss to Sox - Kansas City T-Bones
- Better Late Than Never - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Holdren Bangs Go-Ahead Granny, Zocchi Earns Record in 'Dogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simunic Signs New Three-Year Contract with RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Begin Final Homestand Of 2012 Season Tomorrow Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Nic Jackson Named American Association Player of the Year - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Close out 20th Season with a Bounty We Can All Cash in On - St. Paul Saints
- Big Third Inning Helps Give KC Win over Amarillo - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Rout Pheasants, Pick up Game on Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.