AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs
After dropping a five game series to the Amarillo Thunderheads the night before, the AirHogs offense awoke tonight against the Laredo Lemurs. The bats, along with some help from the Lemurs pitching staff and defense, accounted for nine runs tonight in the series opener.
Grand Prairie sent rookie Blake Oliver to the mound tonight for his sixth start of the season. Oliver, 3-2 as a starter and 4-3 overall, pitched one of his best games of the season for the AirHogs tonight, keeping the Lemurs off the scoreboard until the sixth inning. Overall he gave up three runs, only two earned, on eight hits while walking one and striking out four batters in seven innings of work. He worked himself out of a couple jams in the ballgame, most notably in the fifth inning when with runners on second and third and one out he got a line out of Jarred Maderos and a strikeout of D'Vontrey Richardson to end the inning and keep the Lemurs scoreless.
The AirHogs offense did not get a ton of hits considering they scored nine runs. It was their patience at the plate that earned them the victory tonight. Lemurs pitchers combined to walk seven batters. Three of those batters scored, all with two outs in the fifth inning off a double by Brian Myrow with the bases loaded. The Lemurs defense would also make five errors in the game, ultimately costing them three runs.
Laredo starter Matt Loosen took the loss tonight allowing seven runs, five earned, on five hits and five walks while striking out five over 5.2 innings. Joan Montero would also allow two runs, one earned, in 2.1 innings for Laredo. Dylan Rucker and Zach Dando each threw a three-up-three-down inning of relief for the AirHogs.
Game two of the series will take place July 4th. First pitch at 6:05. Get there early and bring your tickets to the ballpark if possible. There will be fireworks after the game!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 4, 2015
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Light up RailCats - Kansas City Monarchs
- Sioux Falls' Bats Are Silenced - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Straka Gets 11 Ks On Independence Day - Sioux City Explorers
- Red, White, and Blues: Gartrell Home Run Lifts Amarillo to 5-4 Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Goldeyes and Champions Washed Away - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Trade for Watts, Hope He Can be Lights Out - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Proceeds from July 4 Jersey Auction Will Raise Money for Charleston Community - St. Paul Saints
- Cats Bats Are Silent in 2-0 Shut out Loss at Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Blown Chances, Bullpen Cost 'Dogs in Come-From-Ahead Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs